He was first active as the singer for the band Septic Death, obscure during their 1980s career but later recognized as pioneers of the thrashcore genre, gaining reviews in The Rocket and Creem.. Schroeder has since worked primarily as an artist, often featuring images of skulls and skeletons in his work. He has created artwork for many bands, artists, and athletes including Metallica, Misfits, Dr. Dre, Travis Barker, Rocket From The Crypt, and Kool Keith. He has designed many record covers, T-shirts (most notably for Thrasher), skateboards, and two pairs of Nike SB Dunks.
Pushead's style typically involves detailed skulls which are often gruesome and weathered. His work has been associated with Metallica, as seen in Metallica's "2 of One" (music video for "One"), on the album cover for St. Anger, numerous interior album illustrations (most notably for ...And Justice for All), and various web graphics and T-shirt designs.
Besides Metallica, Pushead has worked with a number of musical acts including Dr. Octagon, Kylesa, Necros, Prong, The Exploited, 16, Damad, Stormtroopers of Death, Jawbox, Misfits, Travis Barker and Corrosion of Conformity among others.
In 1991, Pushead designed and illustrated a number of sticker inserts for a series of heavy metal and hard rock trading cards called RockCards, released by Brockum. He designed skateboard graphics and advertisements for Zorlac Skateboards during the 80s and beginning of the 90s.
Pushead was also an artist for the skateboard magazine Thrasher during the 1980s and early 1990s. His recent work includes a limited edition shoe released worldwide by Nike SB on December 17, 2005.
Pushead founded the record labels Pusmort Records and Bacteria Sour.
Septic Death was a hardcore punk band formed in Boise, Idaho by Pushead. The band played only a few shows during its active years (1981 to 1986), mostly in their hometown, though records continued to be released up to 2006. Pushead was the main singer, and designed the band's album covers.
- The Art of Pushead, Puszone website, retrieved 2008-03-27
- Septic Death, septicdeath.com, retrieved 2008-03-27[infringing link?]
- Untitled, septicdeath.com, archived from the original on 2006-05-27, retrieved 2008-03-27[infringing link?]
- Nike Skateboarding, nike.com, retrieved 2008-03-27
- "Pusmort Chapter". www.pusfan.com.
- Selections from The Punk Vault [Poison Idea], punkvinyl.com, retrieved 2008-03-27
- "Pusmort Records Discography", pusfan.com, retrieved 2008-03-27
- Crocker, Chris (15 December 1992). Metallica: The Frayed Ends of Metal (1st ed.). St. Martin's Griffin. p. 82. ISBN 0312086350. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Wall, Mick (February 18, 2010). Appetite for Destruction: The Mick Wall Interviews. Orion. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Metallica website, retrieved 2008-03-27
- "Album Review: Dr. Octagon", Rolling Stone, archived from the original on 2007-12-21, retrieved 2008-03-27 — Rolling Stone magazine showing Pushead's artwork for Dr. Octagon
- "1991 Brockum Rock Sticker Pushead / Sanda Kuwait – Thingery Previews Postviews & Thoughts". www.saintstevensthingery.com.
- superFishal Collab DECK - Pushead - The Music, skatesonhaight.com, retrieved 2008-03-27 — Pushead-designed skateboard
- Ads-Skateboard, pusfan.com, retrieved 2008-03-27