Pulse is a monthly news magazine and website on British primary care. It has been distributed without charge to general practitioners in the United Kingdom since 1960. Its stories are regularly picked up by national and regional newspapers.
It is one of a number of magazines often referred to by GPs as "the comics".
In 2000, the title was owned by Miller Freeman UK which went through some restructuring; the part of the business that continued to own Pulse was known as United Business Media (UBM). In February 2012, UBM sold its agriculture and medical portfolios, including Pulse Media Ltd, to the founders of Briefing Media for £10 million, with the new business being known as Briefing Media Group.
Pulse was bought by Cogora, an 'integrated media and marketing services' company in November 2013.
Pulse is the name of the print version of the magazine, while the website is called PulseToday.
A digital edition of the magazine is available on the Pulse Today website.
Articles picked up by national mediaEdit
Pulse carries surveys of GP opinions. In 2005 its report that when more than 1,000 GPs were asked about their voting intentions, only one in 10 said they intended to vote Labour was reported prominently by the Daily Telegraph. In 2007 its report that 19% of 309 GPs surveyed said they did not believe abortion should be legal was picked up by the Daily Mail and the Evening Standard.
- "Pulse in the news". Pulse. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Carlisle, Daloni (7 April 2008). "Do GPs with special interests have a future in the NHS?". Health Service Journal. Retrieved 12 May 2015. (Registration required (help)).
- Michalczyk, Imelda (8 June 2000). "Miller Freeman to split magazines and web brands". Marketing. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- Rushton, Katherine (6 February 2012). "Farmers Guardian is sold as UBM shifts from print". The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- Limited, Cogora. "Cogora to Acquire Leading GP Brand 'Pulse' -- LONDON, November 1, 2013 /PR Newswire UK/ --". www.prnewswire.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "Save time during consultations with Pulse's free Toolkit app". Pulse Today. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "Pulse Toolkit on the App Store". Apple iTunes. Cogora. Retrieved 2 September 2017.
- "Pulse Toolkit – Android Apps". Google Play. Cogora. Retrieved 2 September 2017.
- "Pulse launches major national survey of GP burnout". Pulse Today. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Disillusioned doctors ready to turn on Labour at election". Daily Telegraph. 5 March 2005. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Media Watch". Health Service Journal. 9 May 2007. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "NHS personal health budgets spent on holidays and horse riding". BBC News. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "NHS health budgets funding holidays, Nintendo consoles and a pedalo ride". Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- "Winners of the PPA Independent Publisher Awards 2014". PPA. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Middleton crowned at MJA Summer Awards". Medical Journalists' Association. Medical Journalists' Association. 9 July 2015. Retrieved 2 September 2017.
- "PPA Awards 2017 2016 Winners". PPA Awards 2017. Retrieved 2017-05-27.