Pughsville is a community in Virginia. It was part of Nansemond County, Virginia which ceased to exist when it was merged into Suffolk, Virginia in the 1970s. The Pughsville community is now in the northern part of Suffolk, Virginia along the border with Chesapeake, Virginia.
Pughsville is served by Nansemond River High School. The actor James Avery, the dad on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, was born there. It is located in the area of Suffolk, Virginia and Chesapeake, Virginia. It is a woodsy area where African-Americans settled. The origins of the name are unclear. A road through the area, Pughsville Road / SR 659, shares the Pughsville name along with Old Pughsville Road which runs into Chesapeake.
Pughsville Park has a playground and looping trail. Pughsville is home to the Union Baptist Church.
A 1949 report from a union meeting in Atlantic City, New Jersey lists a Union of Veneer Box and Barrel Workers Union in Pughsville.
The area has been served by rail lines.
Drainage issues have been a problem in the area.
- "Suffolk man asking city for help with flooded backyard". 8 February 2016.
- Harris M. Lentz III (20 May 2014). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2013. McFarland. pp. 16–. ISBN 978-0-7864-7665-7.
- "What's in a name? | Pughsville, Chesapeake-Suffolk | Hampton Roads History". pilotonline.com. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) (1940). Proceedings of the Constitutional Convention of the Congress of Industrial Organizations.
- "Seatrade". Seatrade Publications. 11 June 1981 – via Google Books.
|This Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|