Public Transport Centre
The Public Transport Centre (formerly known as the Westrail Centre) is a terminal and administration building for public transport in Perth Western Australia. It is the centerpiece of East Perth Terminal (formerly known as Perth Terminal), a standard gauge railway station and coach terminal adjacent to East Perth station on the Transperth narrow gauge suburban rail network.
|Public Transport Centre|
|Former names||Westrail Centre|
|Address||116 West Parade|
|Town or city||Perth|
|Current tenants||Public Transport Authority|
|Opened||12 November 1976|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Forbes & Fitzhardinge|
East Perth Railway TerminalEdit
Today the station is served by Journey Beyond's Indian Pacific, and Transwa's Prospector and MerredinLink services. Until it ceased in June 1991, the terminal was also served by the Trans-Australian.
The construction of building above and adjacent to the Railway Terminal platform was commissioned by the Western Australian Government Railways (WAGR). By the time it was completed, WAGR had become Westrail.
It was opened by State Premier Charles Court 12 November 1976 as the Westrail Centre. The public area includes a newsagent, café, help desks, vending machines, seats, televisions, information screens, an ATM and public toilets.
The building was formerly the headquarters for Westrail, and after the sale of Westrail's freight services was occupied by the Australian Railroad Group (ARG) from 2000 until 2002. In 2002, ARG relocated to Welshpool, and the building is now occupied by the Public Transport Authority and Department of Transport having been renamed the Public Transport Centre.
In 2000, the upper floors were refurbished. Transwa coach services to various state destinations also currently depart and arrive at the northern end of the terminal building.
- East Perth Station Archived 12 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine History of Western Australian Railways & Stations
- History of Stations on the Midland Line Right Track
- East Perth Terminal Journey Beyond
- Prospector - East Perth to Kalgoorlie Transwa
- AvonLink and MerredinLink Transwa]
- Forbes and Fitzhardinge & Western Australian Government Railways Commission (1972). In Western Australian Government Railways East Perth Administration Terminal Building : report on schematic design. WAGR, [Perth, W.A.]
- Westrail Head Office, East Perth conference and executive offices : resultant sound levels : Forbes & Fitzhardinge and W.E. Bassett & Partners Pty. Ltd. / Ron Carr & Company Pty. Ltd.[East Perth, W.A.] : Westrail, 1977. "Report no. V2104-3, February 1977"
- History at a Glance Public Transport Authority
- Contact Us Public Transport Authority
- Timetable files Transwa
|Preceding station||Transwa||Following station|
|Preceding station||Journey Beyond||Following station|