Psalm 33 is the 33rd psalm from the Book of Psalms. In the Greek Septuagint version of the bible, and in its Latin translation in the Vulgate, this psalm is Psalm 32 in a slightly different numbering system.
In the International Critical Commentary series, Charles and Emilie Briggs described it as follows: "Ps. 33 is a song of praise. (1) A call to worship in the temple with song, music, and shouting (v.1-3), because of the righteousness and kindness of Yahweh (v.4-5). (2) All mankind are called to fear Yahweh, the creator of all things, and disposer of all nations (v.6-10). (3) Yahweh from His heavenly throne inspects all mankind (v.13-15); and victory is not due to armies or warriors (v.16-17). (4) He delivereth those who fear Him (v.18-19); therefore his people long for Him, are glad in him, and trust in His name for victory (v.20-22). A gloss praises the plans of Yahweh as everlastingly secure, and also the happiness of His people (v.11-12)."
Psalm 33 does not contain an ascription to any particular author in the Hebrew text, though the Greek Septuagint ascribes it to David. The Briggses suggest that it dates to the time of the Maccabees.
- Is recited in its entirety during the Pesukei Dezimra on Shabbat, Yom Tov, and Hoshana Rabbah.
- Is recited during Tashlikh.
- Is recited on days of fasting Behab in some traditions.
- Verse 1 is part of Shochein Ad.
- Verse 10 is the tenth verse of Yehi Kivod in Pesukei Dezimra. Verse 11 is the twelfth verse of Yehi Kivod. Verse 9 is the thirteenth verse of Yehi Kivod.
- Verse 15 is found in Tractate Rosh Hashanah 1:2.
- Verses 20-22 are the second thru fourth verses of Hoshia Et Amecha of Pesukei Dezimra.
- Verse 22 is part of the final paragraph of Tachanun and Baruch Hashem L'Olam during Maariv.
- It is the Psalm of the Day for BaHaB according to Siddur Avodas Yisrael and Siddur Beis Ya'akov.
- Briggs, Briggs & 1960 , pp. 284-5.
- Briggs, Briggs & 1960 , p. 286.
- The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 386
- The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 770
- The Artscroll Tehillim page 329
- The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 405
- The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 66
- The Complete Artscroll Machzor for Rosh Hashanah page 111
- The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 64
- The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 137
- The Complete Artscroll Siddur page 265
- Charles Augustus Briggs; Emilie Grace Briggs (1960) . A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Psalms. International Critical Commentary. 1. Edinburgh: T & T Clark.
- Nosson Scherman, The Complete Artscroll Siddur (1984), Mesorah Publications, ISBN 978-0899066509.