Pruszcz Gdański (pronounced [pruʂtʂ ˈɡdaj̃skʲi]; former Polish: Pruszcz; German: Praust) is a town in Pomerania, northern Poland with 26,834 inhabitants (2010). Pruszcz Gdański is an industrial town neighbouring Gdańsk, part of the Tricity agglomeration. The Tricity Bypass begins in Pruszcz Gdański.
|Gmina||Pruszcz Gdański (urban gmina)|
|• Mayor||Janusz Wróbel|
|• Total||16.47 km2 (6.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,900/km2 (5,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code(s)||+48 58|
The town was first mentioned as 'Prust'. The Polish government of the region employed the name Pruszcz until the town became part of Prussia as the result of the Partitions of Poland. For a couple of centuries Pruszcz was often visited by Polish kings, during their travels to nearby Gdańsk.
Between 1871 and 1920 Pruszcz as Praust was part of Germany. Unlike most of Eastern Pomerania, the town did not return to Poland after regaining independence, but was included in the short-lived Free City of Danzig by the Treaty of Versailles. During World War II, Pruszcz was the location of Nazi Germany's Praust concentration camp, a female subcamp of the Stutthof concentration camp. After the region was finally reintegrated with Poland in 1945, the local German population was expelled. As early as 30 March 1945, the Polish Post Office began its work as the first post-war Polish institution in the town. In post-war Poland the adjective Gdański was added to the town's name, after the nearby city of Gdańsk, to distinguish the town from other Polish settlements of the same name.
- Zespół Szkół Ogólnokształcących nr 1
- Liceum Ogólnokształcące
- Gimnazjum nr 1
- Szkoła Podstawowa nr 2 w Pruszczu Gdańskim - School website
- Szkoła Podstawowa nr 3
- Zespół Szkół nr 4
- Katolickie Szkoły Niepubliczne im. Jana Pawła II - School website
- Prywatna Szkoła Muzyczna I stopnia
- Przedszkole Publiczne nr 3
- Niepubliczne Przedszkole im. Janusza Korczaka
- Niepubliczne Przedszkole „Promyczek”
- Oddziały Przedszkolne Szkoły Podstawowej nr 2 „Dwójeczka”
- Niepubliczne Przedszkole „Jedyneczka”
- Niepubliczne przedszkole „Czwóreczka”
The clubs local football club is Czarni Pruszcz Gdański.
- "Former Territory of Germany" (in German). 2017-11-28.