Province of Olbia-Tempio
The province of Olbia-Tempio (Italian: provincia di Olbia-Tempio, Sardinian: provìntzia de Terranòa-Tèmpiu) was a province in the autonomous region of Sardinia, Italy. It had two provincial capitals, Olbia (58,723 inhabitants) and Tempio Pausania (14,342 inhabitants). As of 2015, the province had a total population of 159,950 inhabitants and covered an area of 3,406.18 square kilometres (1,315.13 square miles), so had a population density of 46.96 inhabitants per square kilometer. The province contained 26 comuni (plural; singular: comune), see list of communes of the former Province of Olbia-Tempio.
Province of Olbia-Tempio
Provincia di Olbia-Tempio
former Province Hall in Tempio Pausania
Map highlighting the location of the province of Olbia-Tempio in Italy
|Capital(s)||Olbia and Tempio Pausania|
|• Total||3,399 km2 (1,312 sq mi)|
|• Density||41/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The largest comuni in the province were Olbia (population of 45,366 as of 2001), Tempio Pausania (13,992 as of 2001), Arzachena (12,080 as of 2001) and La Maddalena (11,369 as of 2001). The former province of Olbia-Tempio was formed by a 2001 regional law that became effective in 2005. It contained a section of historic Gallura and was bordered by the provinces of Nuoro and Sassari.
On 6 May 2012 the regional referendums of Sardinia took place regarding the abolition of certain provinces and a variety of other matters. The suggestion of reforming or abolishing certain provinces in Sardinia was approved by the Regional Council of Sardinia on 24 May 2012. Due to this, the former province of Olbia-Tempio was ordered to form a new administrative body or be abolished on 1 March 2013, but this expiry date for constitutional changes was extended to 1 July 2013. Olbia-Tempio was suppressed as a province by the 2016 Regional Decree.
List of Presidents of the Province of Olbia-TempioEdit
|President||Term start||Term end||Party|
|1||Anna Pietrina Murrighile||9 May 2005||31 May 2010||Sardinia Project|
|2||Fedele Sanciu||31 May 2010||1 July 2013||The People of Freedom|
|–||Francesco Pirari||1 July 2013||30 April 2014||Special Commissioner|
|–||Giovanni Antonio Carta||30 April 2014||20 April 2016||Special Commissioner|
|Olbia-Tempio Provincial Election Results June 2010|
|Name||Party||1st Preference Votes||%|
|Gesuino Giovanni Giuliano Achenza||PD||28,240||39.3|
- "Olbia-Tempio". Comuni Italiani. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Provincia di Olbia-Tempio". Tutt Italia. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Provincia di Olbia-Tempio". Autonomous Region of Sardinia. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Olbia-Tempio". Italia.it. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Referendum". Autonomous Region of Sardinia. 25 May 2012. Archived from the original on 8 May 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Provinces alive for another nine months, the Council approves the law". Radio Press. Archived from the original on 26 May 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Provinces begin the countdown". L'Unione Sarda. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- "Provinces: all out in nine months". La Nuova Sardegna. 25 May 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Province of Olbia-Tempio.|