This article's lead section may be too long for the length of the article. (July 2019)
Prosenjit Chatterjee (born 30 September 1962) is an Indian film actor and producer who works predominantly in Bengali and Hindi cinema. He is the son of actor Biswajit Chatterjee. He began his acting career as a child actor in Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Chotto Jigyasa, for which he won the Bengal Film Journalists' Association – Most Outstanding Work of the Year Award. Following this he appeared in other films as a child actor. His first leading role came through Bimal Roy's Duti Pata.
Chatterjee in 2019
30 September 1962
|Parent(s)||Biswajit Chatterjee (father)|
Ratna Chatterjee (mother)
|Relatives||Pallavi Chatterjee (sister)|
Prosenjit's breakthrough role came opposite Vijeta Pandit in Amar Sangi (1987), a highly successful romantic drama directed by Sujit Guha. He made his debut in Hindi cinema with David Dhawan directed Aandhiyan (1990). Apart from appearing in a series of masala films, he started doing middle-of-the-road cinema with Chokher Bali which starred Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in her debut Bengali film and which met with critical and commercial success upon release. He again came back in doing commercial films and in 2006, he again collaborated with Rituparno Ghosh for Dosar and received the Best Actor Award and National Film Award - Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) for his performance in the film.
In 2009, Prosenjit once again collaborated with Ghosh for Shob Charitro Kalponik, which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Bengali. In 2010, Prosenjit got another breakthrough by portraying the lead character of Arun Chatterjee in debutant Srijit Mukherji's Autograph, for which he was nominated at MIAAC (Mahindra Indo-American Arts Council) film festival, under the Best Actor category. He portrayed the role of Lalon, a noted spiritual leader, poet and folk singer of Bengal in the 19th century in Goutam Ghose directorial Moner Manush and Anthony Firingee in the National Film Awards winning film, Jaatishwar. He went to earn further recognition and wider appeal for his roles in the romantic thriller Khawto, the drama Praktan, the thriller Traffic, the drama Shankhachil, the crime film Zulfiqar and have committed to star in the Hindi films 3 Dev, alongside Kay Kay Menon, Raima Sen, Karan Singh Grover and Tabeer alongside Neeraj Kabi.
Chatterjee produced the Ghosh scripted the television series Gaaner Oparey, which launched the careers of brothers Arjun Chakraborty and Gaurav Chakraborty and Mimi Chakraborty as well. In 2016, he debuted on the non-fiction category of television with a 97-episode mini-series, titled Mahanayak. Produced by Shree Venkatesh Films and directed by Birsa Dasgupta, the show starred Paoli Dam, Tanushree Chakraborty and Priyanka Sarkar in other pivotal roles and was based on the life of a superstar of 60's era — a life fraught with career highs and personal turbulences.
He has had two previous marriages with Debashree Roy and Aparna Guhathakurta. Prosenjit and Aparna have a daughter together, Prerona Chatterjee. In 2015, Prosenjit bought a Cricket Team in Bengal Celebrity League named Purulia Panthers.
He made his debut as a protagonist with Bimal Roy's Duti Pata (1983), a teenage romance along the lines of Bobby. Amar Sangi (1987) opposite Vijayeta Pandit, Apon Amaar Apon (1990) directed by Tarun Majumdar and Buddhadeb Dasgupta's Ami, Yasin Ar Amar Madhubala (2007) are three important films of his career. The song "Chirodini Tumi Je Amar" from Amar Sangi became a cult hit. Satabdi Roy has acted with him in more than 50 films. He has done 35 films with Rachana Banerjee, 50 with Rituparna Sengupta, around 16 with Indrani Haldar and four with his wife Arpita Pal. Prosenjit debuted in Bollywood in 1990 with the David Dhawan directed Aandhiyan where he played the role of Mumtaz's son. After working in commercial films, Chatterjee started debuted in Parallel Cinema with Rituparno Ghosh's Chokher Bali (film) and since then have appeared in numerous art films, including Dosar, Jaatishwar, Shankhachil, Shob Charitro Kalponik. Chatterjee returned to Hindi cinema by playing the role of lead protagonist in Mehul Kumar directed Meet Mere Man Ke (1991) alongside Ayesha Jhulka, Feroz Khan and Salma Agha. His other Bollywood films are Sone Ki Zanjeer, Veerta, Shanghai and more recently Traffic which received critical acclaim upon release. One of the most important works of Prosenjit is as Arun Chatterjee in Srijit Mukherji's Autograph. His first ever produced film Bapi Bari Jaa was released on 7 December 2012.
Awards and honoursEdit
|BFJA Award||1969||Bengal Film Journalists' Association – Most Outstanding Work of the Year Award||Chotto Jigyasa||Won|
|Kalakar Awards||1993||Best Upcoming Director||Purushottom||Won|
|BFJA Award||1999||Best Actor||Tumi Ele Tai||Won|
|Anandalok Awards||1999||Best Actor||Ranokhetro||Won|
|Kalakar Awards||1999||Best Actor||Ranokhetro||Won|
|BFJA Award||2000||Best Actor||Ashray||Won|
|Kalakar Awards||2001||Best Actor||Sasurbari Zindabad||Won|
|BFJA Award||2001||Best Actor||Utsav||Won|
|BFJA Award||2003||Best Actor||Chokher Bali||Won|
|Sangeet Cine Award||2003||Best Actor||Chokher Bali||Won|
|Kalakar Awards||2005||Best Actor||Surya (film)||Won|
|BFJA Award||2006||Best Actor||Dosar||Won|
|Anandalok Awards||2006||Best Actor||Dosar||Won|
|National Film Award - Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film)||2007||Best Actor||Dosar||Won|
|Kalakar Awards||2008||Best Actor||Bandhu (2007 film)||Won|||
|Star Jalsha Entertainment Award||2010||Best Actor||Houseful||Won|
|ABP Ananda||2011||Sera Bangali||Won|
|Big Bangla Movie awards||2011||Best Actor||Autograph (2010 film)||Won|
|Zee Banglar Gourab Awards 2011||2011||Best Actor||Autograph (2010 film)||Won|
|Anandalok Awards||2011||Best Actor||Moner Manush||Won|
|Swarna Samman from Senco Gold||2011||Contributions to the Bengali film industry||Won|
|Zee Banglar Gourab Awards 2012||2012||Best Actor Critic's Choice||Baishe Srabon||Won|
|International Bangla Film Critic Award (IBFCA)||2012||Best Actor||Baishe Srabon||Won|
|Stardust Awards||2013||Best Supporting Actor||Shanghai (2012 film)||Won|
|Mirchi Music Awards Bangla||2013||Surochitrak Prosenjit||Won|
|Mohanayak Somman by Government of West Bengal||2013||Mohanayak Somman||Won|
|Zee Bangla Sonar Songsar||2014||Best Anchor||Tumi Je Aamar||Won|
|Filmfare Awards East||2014||Special Award||Won|
|24 Ghanta||2015||Ananya Samman||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||2016||Best Actor||Lorai: Play to Live||Won|
|National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Bengali||2016||Best Bengali Film||Shankhachil||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||2017||Best Actor||Shankhachil||Won|
|WBFJA Award||2017||Best Actor in a Leading Role||Khawto||Won|
|Filmfare Awards East||2017||Best Actor||Shankhachil||Won|
|Mohanayak Somman||2017||Best Actor||Zulfiqar||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||2018||Best Actor||Yeti Obhijaan||Won|
|WBFJA Award||2018||Best Actor in a Leading Role||Mayurakshi||Won|
|Mohanayak Somman||2018||Best Actor||Mayurakshi||Won|
|Filmfare Awards East||2018||Best Actor||Mayurakshi||Won|
|Banga Bibhushan by Government of West Bengal||2018||Won|
|Tele Cine Awards||2018||Best Actor||Mayurakshi||Won|
|WBFJA Award||2019||Most Popular Actor||Kishore Kumar Junior||Won|
|Kalakar Awards||2019||King of Tollywood||Kishore Kumar Junior||Won|
|Dadasaheb Phalke Film Festival||2020||Best Actor||The Prologue||Won|
|Films and Frames Digital Film Awards||2020||Best Actor Critics Choice||Gumnaami||Won|
|Potrait at Rashtrapati Bhavan||2020||Best Actor Critics Choice||Won|
|2013||Banglar Sera Paribar||Zee Bangla|
|2014||Tumi Je Aamar ||Zee Bangla|
|2016||Mahanayak Uttam Kumar||Star Jalsha|
|2018||Shubho Drishti||Colors Bangla|
|2018||Ke Hobe Banglar Kotipoti||Colors Bangla|
- "54 fun facts about Prosenjit Chatterjee as he turns 54". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 May 2019.
- "With father Biswajit in 'Chotto Jigyasa' - Prosenjit Chatterjee: Rare childhood pictures of the Bengali superstar you shouldn't miss". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "My Fundays". The Telegraph. Retrieved 16 February 2011.
- "'Chokher Bali' is a hit | Chokher Bali (2003) | Latest Movie News". Bollywood Hungama. 11 October 2003. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Prosenjit Chatterjee: Still evergreen". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Prosenjit, Raima to star in bolly flick 3 Dev". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- "Rituparno and Prosenjit kiss and makeup". The Times of India.
- "My character in Mahanayak bears traces of Uttam: Prosenjit". Business Standard. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- "First look of 'Mahanayak'". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- "From Hosting KBC Bangla To Playing Mahanayak: Times When Prosenjit Chatterjee Mesmerised TV Audience With His Charisma". Times Of India.
- "Prosenjit Chatterjee: Once a CHOCOLATE BOY, now an ACTING PHENOMENON". Times Of India.
- "prosenjit chatterjee". Calcuttaweb. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- আনন্দবাজার – আনন্দ plus – কমেলশ্বেরর মহাভারত ভীষ্ম প্রসেনিজৎ (in Bengali). Anandabazar. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- আনন্দবাজার – আনন্দ plus – বিপরীতমুখী (in Bengali). Anandabazar. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- আনন্দবাজার – আনন্দ plus – বারো বছর বাদে (in Bengali). Anandabazar. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "Prosenjit as Bhupen Hazarika in biopic by Kalpana Lajmi –". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Prosenjit The Fighter | Published by The Telegraph".
- "Is Actor Prosenjit Chatterjee's Daughter Prerona Chatterjee Interested in Acting dgtl". www.anandabazar.com. Retrieved 5 March 2021.
- "Bengal Celebrity League to start December 26". Business Standard. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "Tollywood all set to kick off Bengal Celebrity League". The Economic Times. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "Tolly stars launch BCL logo, team jerseys". The Economic Times. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Divya will be seen as the wife of a superstar-played by Prosenjit Chatterjee inTraffic". Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "The Telegraph – Calcutta (Kolkata) – Entertainment – Producer Prosenjit celebrates his television outing. more applause for Goutam Ghose's Moner Manush". Telegraphs. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Kolkata applauds Bapi Bari Jaa's first look". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Prosenjit Chatterjee Indian Actor Biography". Dailytech24.com. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Prosenjit Chatterjee Full Biography And Filmography". Cine Jalsha. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "List of Awards". Prosenjit Chatterjee. Archived from the original on 3 October 2018. Retrieved 24 July 2016.[self-published source]
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Ranakshetra (1998) Awards | Award Winners Of Ranakshetra bengali Movie". gomolo.com. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Public Screening of India Panorama 2013 Films in New Delhi 10th −18th February, 2014". Dff.nic.in. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Rituparna Sengupta receives best actress award at 2008 Kalakar Awards". Archived from the original on 19 August 2017. Retrieved 19 August 2017.
- "Prosenjit gets best actor award in Jio Filmfare Awards East". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Winners of WBFJA (West Bengal Film Journalists' Association) Awards 2018". 15 January 2018.
- "Filmfare Award East 2018 Winners - List of Bengali Filmfare Award Winners". filmfare.com.
- "Tumi Je Amar: Zee Bangla Show- Watch Tumi Je Amar TV Serial Episodes and Videos Online at zeebangla.com". zee bangla. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Bengali Wedding Reality Show Tumi Je Amar on Zee Bangla with Prasenjit Chatterjee Starts Today". sholoanabangaliana. Archived from the original on 17 April 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prosenjit Chatterjee.|