Prometric, also known as Prometric Testing, is a U.S.-based company in the test administration industry. Its corporate headquarters is located in Canton (Baltimore, Maryland) in the United States. Prometric operates a test center network composed of thousands of sites in 160 countries. Many examinations are administered at Prometric sites, including those from the:
- American Petroleum Institute
- Architect Registration Examination
- Diplomate of National Board
- European Personnel Selection Office
- Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
- Green Business Certification Inc. (LEED)
- India-Common Entrance Test and some National Eligibility and Entrance Tests
- Nationwide Mortgage and Licensing System (NMLS)
- USPTO registration examination
|Parent||Baring Private Equity Asia|
Prometric's computerized testing centers were founded by Drake International in 1990 under the name Drake Prometric. In 1995, Drake Prometric L.P. was sold to Sylvan Learning in a cash and stock deal worth approximately $44.5 million. The acquired business was renamed Sylvan Prometric, then sold to Thomson Corporation in 2000. The Thomson Corporation announced its desire to sell Prometric in the fall of 2006, and Educational Testing Service announced plans to acquire it. On Monday, October 15, 2007, Educational Testing Service (ETS) closed its acquisition of Prometric from the Thomson Corporation. In 2018, Prometric was bought by Baring Private Equity Asia.
Prometric sells a range of services, including test development, test delivery, and data management capabilities. Prometric delivers and administers tests to approximately 500 clients in the academic, professional, government, corporate and information technology markets. While there are 3000 Prometric test centers across the world, including every U.S. state and territory (except Wake Island), whether a particular test can be taken outside the U.S. depends on the testing provider. For example, despite the fact that Prometric test centers exist worldwide, some exams are only offered in the country where the client program exists. The locations where a test is offered, as well as specific testing procedures for the day of the exam, are dictated by the client.
In 2011, Prometric lost the contract for conducting the Oracle certification exam and they were replaced by Pearson VUE.
In 2014, the IBM Professional Certification Program exam delivery was moved from Prometric to Pearson VUE Test Centers
In 2014, Prometric lost the bid for conducting it second time to an Indian tech firm.
In 2014, a latency issue affected one Prometric-administered test, namely the AIPGMEE.
In 2014, Microsoft ended its exam partnership with Prometric.
In 2017, Prometric lost the contract for conducting the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) exam. They were replaced with Pearson VUE. That same year, Charles Kernan was appointed as the new President and CEO of Prometric, replacing Michael Brannick. Brannick had held the position since 2001.
In 2019, Project Management Institute (PMI) ended its exam partnership with Prometric. They were replaced with Pearson VUE.
- "National Board of Examinations (NBE) - India". www.prometric.com. Archived from the original on 2017-09-10. Retrieved 2017-09-12.
- "Drake International early years". Archived from the original on 2012-06-19.
- "Sylvan to acquire test firm".
- "Thomson Acquires Prometric".
- ETS news ETS to Acquire Prometric Archived 2011-07-26 at the Wayback Machine
- Press Releases Archived 2010-08-20 at the Wayback Machine. Thomson Reuters (2013-06-30). Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- QAI India Ltd Announces A Partnership with Prometric
- the official Irish RSA Driver Theory Test booking site. TheoryTest.ie. Retrieved on 2013-08-17.
- "IIM-A names 2 viruses that caused CAT chaos - Times of India".
- "CAT 2014 exam: Why TCS got CAT 2014 and Prometric lost". www.mbauniverse.com.
- Medicos Irked by technical glitches in NBE exams
- "Microsoft Ends Exam Partnership with Prometric". 16 July 2014.
- "Pearson VUE to deliver Medical College Admission Test® (MCAT®) beginning in 2018". Pearson VUE. 2017.
- "PROMETRIC APPOINTS CHARLES KERNAN AS PRESIDENT AND CEO". Prometric. 2017-06-13.
- "Profile: Michael Brannick". LinkedIn. 2017.[dead link]