Project Republic of Sardinia
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: English and sources need improvement. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Project Republic of Sardinia (Sardinian: Progetu Repùblica de Sardigna, ProgReS) is a separatist political party in Sardinia, founded in January 2011 following a split from Independence Republic of Sardinia (iRS).
|Founded||2 January 2011|
|Split from||Independence Republic of Sardinia|
|Regional Council of Sardinia|
0 / 60
In January 2011, after a struggle with Gavino Sale, president of iRS, the faction led by former leader Ornella Demuru, including iRS founding members Frantziscu Sanna and Franciscu Sedda, decided to leave the party and launch a "Republican Constituent Assembly" (Sa Costituente Repubricana). In February the new party took the name of Project Republic of Sardinia (ProgReS) and Bobore Bussa was elected as provisional leader.
The party made its first electoral appearance in May 2011 at the municipal elections in Cagliari and Olbia by filing candidates for mayor (Demuru in Cagliari and Gianmaria Bellu in Olbia) and for the city councils. In both cases ProgReS mayoral candidates took less than 1% of the vote. However, the results were welcomed as encouraging, considering the paucity of resources available, as well as the fact the party was new and had yet to make a name for itself.
In July 2012 Demuru and Sedda left the party over disagreements with the new leadership and the rise of Michela Murgia, a well-known writer. A year later Sedda went on to launch the Party of Sardinians (PdS) along with Paolo Maninchedda, a splinter from the Sardinian Action Party (PSd'Az).
The party's second congress took place in Cagliari in December 2012. Party members were presented with two proposals: one that saw candidates for the main party roles led by Contu; an alternative proposal whereby each coordinator of the nine regional constituencies would have taken the role of party leader for a limited period time, thus creating a turning leadership. The team led by Contu won and the proposal of a turning leadership was rejected. The congress also accepted a proposal to appoint two party presidents, female and male. Sandro Ghiani and Federica Serra (who was mainly responsible for the rejuvenation of iRS graphics) were elected presidents.
In August 2013 Murgia announced she was running for President of Sardinia in the 2014 regional election for ProgRes. In November 2013, during the party's third congress, Paolo Piras was elected secretary. In the forthcoming election Murgia 10.3% of the vote, but ProgReS, which suffered the competition of two coalition partners, gained 2.8% and failed to pass the 5% threshold for parties outside big coalitions. The other two ProgReS' emanations won 2.2% and 1.8% of the vote, respectively.
In the 2019 regional election ProgReS formed a joint list with Unidos, a centre-right separatist party, and minor groups. Unidos' leader, Mauro Pili, ran as the list's candidate for President, winning 2.3% of the vote. The list obtained 2.1% and no seats in the Regional Council.
The party is organised in eight regional constituencies (Cagliari/Castèddu; Sulcis-Iglesiente; Medio Campidano/Campidànu; Oristano/Aristànis; Nuoro/Nùgoro; Ogliastra/Ogiàstra; Sassari/Tàtari; Gallura/Gaddhùra) and a ninth constituency (Distèrru) representing the Sardinian diaspora in Europe and the world. ProgReS is the second party, after iRS, to organise and involve the Sardinian diaspora in regional politics. Party constituencies publish their own online magazines. For instance, the Disterru constituency publishes Su Bandu with articles in Sardinian, Italian and English.
|Latest election||# of
overall seats won
0 / 60
0 / 60
- Joint list with Unidos and minor groups.
- Party's Manifesto
- Nasce la fase Costituente voluta dagli indipendentisti democratici repubblicani » ProgReS - Progetu Repùblica
- Scelto il nome del nuovo partito: Bobore Bussa sarà il segretario » ProgReS - Progetu Repùblica
- ProgReS sui risultati delle elezioni amministrative » ProgReS - Progetu Repùblica
- Nasce ProgReS Progetu Repùblica è subito guinness » ProgReS - Progetu Repùblica
- Acampora nuovo leader di Progres-Regione Autonoma della Sardegna
- Anche ProgReS si sfascia! Franciscu Sedda, Ornella Demuru e tanti altri abbandonano il partito indipendentista, schiacciati dalle ambizioni di… Michela Murgia! - vitobiolchini
- Perché ProgReS e Michela Murgia pensano di essere intoccabili? Perché negano l’evidenza? Perché vogliono decidere cosa è una notizia e cosa non lo è? - vitobiolchini
- Ecco il Partito dei sardi di Maninchedda "Pronti ad alleanza col centrosinistra" - Politica - L'Unione Sarda
- Michela Murgia candidata presidente Centrodestra, pronto Pili. Pd: idea Soru - Politica - L'Unione Sarda
- Progres, Paolo Piras nuovo segretario "Avanti col progetto Sardegna Possibile" - Cronache dalla Sardegna - L'Unione Sarda
- Sardegna - Elezioni Regionali del 16 febbraio 2014 - la Repubblica.it