Priyanka Gandhi (born 12 January 1972), also known by her married name Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, is an Indian politician who is currently serving as general secretary of the AICC in charge of eastern Uttar Pradesh. She also serves as Trustee of Rajiv Gandhi Foundation. She is the daughter of Rajiv Gandhi and Sonia Gandhi, sister of Rahul Gandhi, and granddaughter of Feroze and Indira Gandhi, making her a member of the politically prominent Nehru-Gandhi family.
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra
|General Secretary of |
AICC for Uttar Pradesh East
|Assumed office |
4 February 2019
|Born||12 January 1972|
New Delhi, India
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Robert Vadra (m. 1997)
|Education||Delhi University (M.A.)|
Early life and education
Priyanka Gandhi did her schooling from the Modern School and Convent of Jesus & Mary. She pursued her graduation in Psychology from Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi. She completed her Psychology degree and later on did her MA in Buddhist studies in 2010.
She is a popular figure in the constituency, drawing large crowds everywhere; a popular slogan in Amethi in every election has been Amethi ka danka, bitiya Priyanka (the clarion call from Amethi is for Priyanka [to stand elections]).
In the Indian general election, 2004, she was her mother's campaign manager and helped supervise her brother Rahul Gandhi's campaign. In the Uttar Pradesh assembly elections, 2007, while Rahul Gandhi managed the statewide campaign, she focused on the ten seats in the Amethi Rae Bareilly region, spending two weeks there trying to quell considerable infighting within the party workers over seat allocations.
On January 23, 2019, Priyanka Gandhi formally entered politics, being appointed the Congress' General Secretary in charge of the eastern part of Uttar Pradesh.
She is married to Robert Vadra, a businessman from Delhi. The wedding took place at the Gandhi home, 10 Janpath, on 18 February 1997 in a traditional Hindu ceremony. They have two children; a son Raihan and a daughter Miraya.
- "Priyanka Gandhi appointed Congress general secretary for UP East | In…". archive.is. 25 January 2019. Archived from the original on 25 January 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Priyanka Gandhi Formal Debut Likely On February 4 After Kumbh Dip: Report". NDTV.com. Retrieved 26 January 2019.
- "Facts about Gandhi". Zee Media. Zee News. Zee Media Corporation Company. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- February 11, Bhavna Vij-Aurora New Delhi; February 20, 2012 ISSUE DATE:; February 20, 2012UPDATED:; Ist, 2012 13:02. "UP polls 2012: Robert Vadra bids for a place in Gandhi family power structure". India Today. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "The Rediff Election Interview- Priyanka Vadra". Rediff.com. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Priyanka Vadra returns to campaign in Amethi". India Today. 16 January 2012.
- "Ground report: Amethi, Rae Bareli seeing a new Priyanka". Firstpost. Network 18. 27 April 2014. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Priyanka may be assigned 100 constituencies". Rediff.com. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Team, BS Web (23 January 2019). "Priyanka Gandhi appointed Congress party general secretary for UP-east". Business Standard India. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 13 September 2013. Retrieved 16 July 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Who is Robert Vadra?", India Today, 10 October 2011; retrieved 15 February 2013.