Priyamvada Gopal is a Reader at the Faculty of English at Cambridge University. Her main teaching and research interests are in colonial and postcolonial literature and theory. She regularly contributes to several newspapers, including The Hindu, The Guardian, The Independent, New Statesman, Outlook India, India Today, Al Jazeera and The Times Literary Supplement.
|Born||1968 (age 50–51)|
|Alma mater||University of Delhi|
Jawaharlal Nehru University
|Occupation||Reader in Anglophone and Related Literature|
|Employer||University of Cambridge|
Education and careerEdit
The daughter of an Indian diplomat, Gopal studied at the University of Delhi and Jawaharlal Nehru University, and received her PhD from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Her research focuses on colonial and postcolonial literature as well as theory. This research topic is combined with research focused on novels, translation, gender and feminism, Marxism, critical race studies, as well as the politics and cultures of empire and globalisation.
Gopal is an outspoken critic of what she perceives as colonial and racist incidents and attitudes with a particular focus on British Academia.
In June 2018, she criticised the alleged racial profiling by college porters at the gate of King's College, Cambridge and announced that she would no longer teach at King's until this long-standing issue was resolved. As a result of the attention the issue received, students and faculty of Cambridge University came forward describing similar experiences. Priyamvada Gopal received hate mail following her announcement.
- "Faculty of English". www.english.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Priyamvada Gopal The Guardian". the Guardian. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Priyamvada Gopal". www.aljazeera.com.
- Ram, Vidya (13 April 2018). "Indian-origin lecturer Priyamvada Gopal in free speech row". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Kinchen, Rosie (24 June 2018). "Twitter row doctor Priyamvada Gopal bites back at King's College, Cambridge". The Times. Retrieved 13 April 2019. (subscription required)
- Oppenheim, Maya (20 June 2018). "Cambridge academic says she will not work for university after accusing porters of racist abuse". The Independent. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Mirsky, Hannah (21 October 2018). "Meet Priyamvada Gopal - the academic fighting racism at Cambridge University". Cambridge News.
- "King's College racism row: Students support academic". BBC News. 21 June 2018. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Gopal, Priyamvada (29 January 2009). The Indian English Novel. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 232. ISBN 9780199544370.
- Gopal, Priyamvada (9 March 2005). Literary radicalism in India : gender, nation and the transition to independence. Routledge. p. 192. ISBN 9780415329040.
- "Verso". www.versobooks.com. Retrieved 2019-06-14.