This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A private server is a machine or virtual machine that is privately administrated. As servers need adequate internet connection, power and can be noisy, they are often located in a colocation center. Servers are available on the market the same way as laptops or desktops are available and can be purchased by individual already pre-configured. Ordinary desktop computers are not suitable to house in colocation centers as servers have specific form factor that allows them to fit many into a standard rack. This group also includes custom-designed experimental servers, made by hobbyists Virtual server also offer high degree of freedom, superuser access and low-cost service.
Usage as Server EmulatorEdit
- Private server can specifically mean a server emulator, a re-implementation of online game server such as MMORPG genres like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XI. Private machines can be used in various experimental projects such as games under development or various innovative startups.
- Many private servers are being developed to modify the game play, making the game a lot easier, more difficult, add new or modify existing content such as NPC, Skills, Classes, and Items.
- There are different categories of servers, a hard server, easy server, and classic server.
- Some servers are created for fun, allowing players to skip the grind of playing the retail server and enjoy the end game content. Most popular private server categories are World of Warcraft, MU Online, Metin2, Silkroad, MapleStory, Conquer Online and many more!
- Most private servers are being ran as a business, allowing players to purchase in game items and rewards by "donating" real money, rather than a fun environment for players.
- In order to change the dynamic of a game, private server providers sometimes heavily modify the game. Adding or deleting some NPC or skills, increasing or decreasing the game treasures drop rates, modifying the models in the game, or adding some original functions to the game are all examples.
- Private servers may have bugs and stability issues due to being developed by small teams of hobbyists. The official games provide greater stability in most cases.
- Most private servers have a short life cycle. Running a private server is unconstrained by the law, so private servers can be set up and closed without notifying users. Additionally, a private server provider can suspend or ban any user's account for any reason.
- The housing price tends to be cheaper than for the similar dedicated server as it does not include the price for renting the equipment.
- The server activities are only regulated by the law and not by policies of the hosting provider.
- Like any program you trust on the internet, a private server game file can contain malwares. But contrary to an old urban legend, it is not in the private server's interest to hurt its players because it needs as many regular players as possible to survive (and to earn any money by selling services following a free to play model).
- A dedicated machine is overkill for many web projects. Purchasing more limited resources through a web hosting plan may well be cheaper.
- The owner must be able to manage software and ensure security (though it is possible to purchase a security audit).
- The price of a new server is comparable to the 9price of a used car: several thousand to several tens of thousand dollars, depending on configuration. This may be too expensive for a hobbyist but acceptable for a business start-up, even without an investing company behind it.
- With very high end hardware, the traffic speed may become a bottleneck. Multiple servers, scattered through the world, may be able to handle more connections even when each of them is less capable.
- Custom designed server Archived 2017-04-20 at the Wayback Machine, barebone-based approach.
- Custom designed server, design to maximize performance per watt.
- "All Clash of Clans Private Servers [Updated 2018] Download and Reviews". Clash Servers. Retrieved 2018-09-20.
- "MMtop 200 - Top private servers list". A list of private servers in over 50 MMORPG categories, such as World of Warcraft, MU Online, and more.