Pristimantis repens, known commonly as the Galeras robber frog, is a species of frog in the family Craugastoridae. It is endemic to the Colombian Massif in the Nariño Department, Colombia. The specific name repens is Latin for creeping or crawling, inferred to be its mode of locomotion based on its short limbs.
Eleutherodactylus repens Lynch, 1984
Adult males measure 13–17 mm (0.5–0.7 in) and adult females 18–24 mm (0.7–0.9 in) in snout–vent length. The snout is rounded. The tympanum is visible with a distinct annulus. All toes and all but the innermost finger bear small discs; no lateral keels nor webbing are present. The dorsal skin is shagreened anteriorly, turning tuberculate posteriorly and granular laterally. The dorsum is brown or olive with dark brown marking. The lower surfaces are olive-brown. The groin and other concealed surfaces of the limbs are pale red. The lips have white lines.
Habitat and conservationEdit
Pristimantis repens occurs in sub-páramo and páramo as well as high-Andean forest habitats at elevations of 3,150–3,720 m (10,330–12,200 ft) above sea level. Specimens have been found under rocks or inside the sparse páramo vegetation. Breeding is by direct development (i.e., there is no free-living larval stage).
Pristimantis repens was common at its type locality, the Galeras volcano. The area has little human activity, but the population could be threatened by the eruption of this active volcano. Galeras is designated as a Fauna and Flora Sanctuary.
- IUCN SSC Amphibian Specialist Group (2019). "Pristimantis repens". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2019: e.T56905A3052643.
- Lynch, J. D. (1984). "A new species of Eleutherodactylus (Amphibia: Anura: Leptodactylidae) from southern Andean Colombia". Herpetologica. 40: 234–237. JSTOR 3892289.
- Frost, Darrel R. (2019). "Pristimantis repens (Lynch, 1984)". Amphibian Species of the World: an Online Reference. Version 6.0. American Museum of Natural History. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Acosta Galvis, A. R. (2014). "Pristimantis repens (Lynch, 1984)". Lista de los Anfibios de Colombia: Referencia en linea V.09.2019. www.batrachia.com. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Rojas-Rivera, M. A. & Gutiérrez-Cárdenas, P. D. A. (2008). "Pristimantis repens (Lynch, 1984), a frog not restricted to the Páramo" (PDF). Herpetozoa. 21 (1/2): 85–86.