Princess Sophia Dorothea of Prussia
Princess Sophia Dorothea of Prussia (German: Sophia Dorothea Marie von Preußen) (25 January 1719 – 13 November 1765) was the ninth child and fifth daughter of Frederick William I of Prussia and Sophia Dorothea of Hanover. By marriage, she was a Margravine of Brandenburg-Schwedt.
Marriage and childrenEdit
On 10 November 1734 in Potsdam, Sophia Dorothea married her Hohenzollern kinsman Frederick William, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt, son of Philip William, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt, and Princess Johanna Charlotte of Anhalt-Dessau, daughter of John George II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau. They had five children:
- Friederike (18 December 1736 - 9 March 1798); married Frederick II Eugene, Duke of Württemberg
- Elisabeth Louise (22 April 1738 - 10 February 1820); married her uncle Prince Augustus Ferdinand of Prussia
- George Philip (10 September 1741 - 28 April 1742)
- Philippine (10 October 1745 - 1 May 1800); married Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel
- George Frederick (3 May 1749 - 13 August 1751)
Frederick William was 19 years older than the princess and he was called the "mad Margrave" because of his pranks and rude manners. Their relationship was not happy, and eventually they lived in separate places: Sophie lived in the castle Montplaisir near the residence, and the Margrave lived in the castle of Schwedt. They only reconciled during Sophie's terminal illness, where she died in the Margrave's arms. She did not, reportedly, have the same spiritual interests of her sisters. The Margraviate of Schwedt was only a small holding, but enjoyed a prosperous economy due to immigrant Huguenots.
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 16.
Princess Sophia Dorothea of PrussiaBorn: 25 January 1719 Died: 10 November 1765
Title last held byJohanna Charlotte of Anhalt-Dessau
| Margravine of Brandenburg-Schwedt
25 January 1699 - 19 December 1711
Title next held byLeopoldine Marie of Anhalt-Dessau
|This article related to German royalty (1871–1919) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|