Princess Helena of Nassau
Princess Helena of Nassau (German: Prinzessin Helene Wilhelmine Henriette Pauline Marianne von Nassau-Weilburg; 18 August 1831 – 27 October 1888) was a daughter of William, Duke of Nassau, and consort of George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont. A paternal second cousin of Francis, Duke of Teck, father-in-law of king George V.
|Born||18 August 1831|
Wiesbaden, Duchy of Nassau, German Confederation
|Died||28 October 1888 (aged 57)|
Pyrmont, Principality of Waldeck and Pyrmont, German Empire
|Spouse||George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
Pauline, Princess of Bentheim and Steinfurt
Marie, Princess William of Württemberg
Emma, Queen of the Netherlands
Princess Helena, Duchess of Albany
Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont
Elisabeth, Princess of Erbach-Schönberg
|Father||William, Duke of Nassau|
|Mother||Princess Pauline of Württemberg|
Helena was born at Wiesbaden, Duchy of Nassau. She was the ninth child of William, Duke of Nassau (1792–1839), by his second wife Princess Pauline of Württemberg (1810–1856), daughter of Prince Paul of Württemberg. She was the half-sister of Adolphe, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (then Hereditary Prince of Nassau). She was related to the Dutch Royal Family and also, distantly, to the British Royal Family through her father and mother, both were descendants of King George II of Great Britain.
Marriage and familyEdit
They had seven children:
- Princess Sophie Nikoline (27 July 1854 – 5 August 1869); died of tuberculosis at fifteen.
- Princess Pauline (19 October 1855 – 3 July 1925) married Alexis, Prince of Bentheim and Steinfurt.
- Princess Marie (23 May 1857 – 30 April 1882) who married Prince William, later King William II of Württemberg.
- Princess Emma (2 August 1858 – 20 March 1934) who married King William III of the Netherlands. The Dutch royal family exist of descendants from this marriage.
- Princess Helena (17 February 1861 – 1 September 1922) who married Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany.
- Prince Friedrich (20 January 1865 – 26 May 1946), last reigning prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont, married Princess Bathildis of Schaumburg-Lippe
- Princess Elisabeth (6 September 1873 – 23 November 1961) married Alexander, Prince of Erbach-Schönberg.
Among her grandchildren were:
- Pauline, Princess of Wied (1877–1965), last senior member of the House of Württemberg.
- Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (1880–1962), queen regnant of the Netherlands.
- Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone (1883–1981), Vice-regal consort of Canada
- Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1884–1954), last reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
- Josias, Hereditary Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1896–1967)
- George Louis, Prince of Erbach-Schönberg (1903–1971)
|Ancestors of Princess Helena of Nassau|
Notes and sourcesEdit
- Almanach de Gotha. 1893. p. 111.
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: vol II page 337/347
- For My Grandchildren London, 1966, Athlone, HRH Princess Alice, Countess of, Reference: Page 41 part of biographical notes
Princess Helena of Nassau
Cadet branch of the House of NassauBorn: 18 August 1831 Died: 28 October 1862
Title last held byPrincess Emma of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym
| Princess of Waldeck and Pyrmont
26 September 1853 – 28 October 1888
Title next held byPrincess Louise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg