Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark
Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark (Danish: Caroline-Mathilde Louise Dagmar Christine Maud Augusta Ingeborg Thyra Adelheid; 27 April 1912 – 12 December 1995) was a daughter of Prince Harald of Denmark and granddaughter of King Frederick VIII of Denmark. As the wife of Knud, Hereditary Prince of Denmark, she became Hereditary Princess of Denmark.
|Hereditary Princess of Denmark|
|Born||27 April 1912|
Jægersborghus, Gentofte, Denmark
|Died||12 December 1995 (aged 83)|
Sorgenfri Palace, Lyngby-Taarbæk, Copenhagen, Denmark
Knud, Hereditary Prince of Denmark
(m. 1933; died 1976)
Count Ingolf of Rosenborg
Count Christian of Rosenborg
|Father||Prince Harald of Denmark|
|Mother||Princess Helena of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
Princess Caroline-Mathilde was born on 27 April 1912 at Jægersborghus country house in Gentofte north of Copenhagen, Denmark. She was the second child and daughter of Prince Harald of Denmark, son of King Frederick VIII of Denmark and Princess Louise of Sweden. Her mother was Princess Helena of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, daughter of Friedrich Ferdinand, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and Princess Karoline Mathilde of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg.
The princess was named for her maternal grandmother, and was known as 'Calma' to her family.
Marriage and childrenEdit
Caroline-Mathilde married her first cousin Prince Knud of Denmark, second son and youngest child of Christian X of Denmark and Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin on 8 September 1933 at Fredensborg Palace, Zealand, Denmark. The couple were given Sorgenfri Palace in Kongens Lyngby north of Copenhagen as their residence. The couple had three children:
- Princess Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margrethe Désirée of Denmark (8 May 1935 – 19 June 2018).
- Prince Ingolf Christian Frederik Knud Harald Gorm Gustav Viggo Valdemar Aage of Denmark (born 17 February 1940). Married Inge Terney without consent and lost his royal title, thereby becoming His Excellency Count Ingolf of Rosenborg.
- Prince Christian Frederik Franz Knud Harald Carl Oluf Gustav Georg Erik of Denmark (22 October 1942 – 21 May 2013). Married Anne Dorte Maltoft-Nielsen without consent and lost his royal title, thereby becoming His Excellency Count Christian of Rosenborg.
From 1947 to 1953, Prince Knud was heir presumptive of his older brother King Frederick IX. Knud would have become king and Caroline Mathilde queen in their turn, but a change in the constitution in 1953 caused Knud to lose his place in the succession to his niece, Margrethe II. After the change, Prince Knud was given the title of Hereditary Prince and Caroline Mathilde became Hereditary Princess.
Hereditary Prince Knud died on 14 June 1976. Hereditary Princess Caroline Mathilde survived her husband by 19 years and died on 12 December 1995 at Sorgenfri Palace. She was buried at Roskilde Cathedral next to her husband.
Titles, styles and honoursEdit
Titles and stylesEdit
- 27 April 1912 – 8 September 1933: Her Highness Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark
- 8 September 1933 – 20 April 1947: Her Royal Highness Princess Knud of Denmark
- 20 April 1947 – 27 March 1953: Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Princess of Denmark
- 27 March 1953 – 12 December 1995: Her Royal Highness Princess Knud of Denmark
- Denmark: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Elephant
- Denmark: Dame of the Royal Family Decoration of King Christian X, 2nd Class
- Denmark: Dame of the Royal Family Decoration of King Frederick IX, 2nd Class
- Denmark: Dame of the Royal Family Decoration of Queen Margrethe II, 2nd Class
- Denmark: Recipient of the Red Cross Medal of Honour
- Denmark: Recipient of the Red Cross Medal of Merit
- Denmark: Recipient of the 100th Anniversary Medal of the Birth of King Frederick VIII
- Denmark: Recipient of the 100th Anniversary Medal of the Birth of King Christian X
- Denmark: Recipient of the 50th Birthday Medal of Queen Margrethe II
- Denmark: Recipient of the Silver Anniversary Medal of Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ancestors of Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark|
- Darryl Lundy (23 February 2007). "Caroline Mathilde zu Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, Princess of Denmark". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- "Catalogue of place names in northern East Greenland". Geological Survey of Denmark. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- Noonan, Barry Christopher. "denmark/diplomatic". www.angelfire.com/realm3/ruvignyplus/.[self-published source][better source needed]
- Pinterest.com, Caroline-Mathilde wearing honours