Prince Oscar, Duke of Skåne
Prince Oscar of Sweden, Duke of Skåne (Oscar Carl Olof; born 2 March 2016), is the younger child and only son of Crown Princess Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel. He is a grandson of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia and is third in the line of succession to the Swedish throne, after his mother and his sister, Princess Estelle.
|Duke of Skåne|
|Born||2 March 2016|
Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Sweden
|Mother||Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden|
Prince Oscar was born on 2 March 2016 at Karolinska University Hospital in Solna. His birth was greeted by two 21-gun salutes on the island of Skeppsholmen, opposite Stockholm Palace. His names and title were announced the following day by his maternal grandfather, the King. Skåne is the southernmost titular duchy in Sweden and is known historically in English as Scania. There have been two previous Dukes of Scania in the House of Bernadotte: Charles XV and Gustaf VI Adolf (Prince Oscar's great-great-grandfather).
Prince Oscar was christened on 27 May 2016 at the Royal Chapel of Stockholm Palace in Stockholm, Sweden. His godparents are Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark; Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway; his maternal aunt, Princess Madeleine of Sweden; his mother's cousin, Oscar Magnuson; and his father's cousin, Hans Åström. He was christened in the family's antique christening gown which was first worn by Prince Gustaf Adolf when he was christened in 1906. His name and date of christening were added in embroidery to the gown.
Titles and stylesEdit
- Sweden: Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (RoK av KMO)
- Sweden: Knight of the Order of Charles XIII (RCXIII)
Prince Oscar's coat of arms is based on the greater coat of arms of Sweden. It features in the first and fourth quarters, the Three Crowns; in the second, the lion of the House of Bjelbo; and in the third, the griffin of the arms of Skåne, representing the titular designation of his dukedom. In the centre, on an inescutcheon, is the dynastic arms of the House of Bernadotte. Surrounding the shield is the chain of the Order of the Seraphim, of which he was presented with at his baptism.
- Felton, Alexander; Shoichet, Catherine E. (2 March 2016). "Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria has baby boy". CNN. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "Kronprinsessan och Prins Daniel har fått en son" [Crown Princess and Prince Daniel have a son] (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Giertz, Elias; Malmgren, Kim (3 March 2016). "Nya prinsens namn är Oscar Carl Olof" [New prince's name is Oscar Carl Olof]. Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "H.K.H. Prins Oscar Carl Olof, hertig av Skåne" [H.K.H. Prince Carl Olof Oscar, Duke of Scania] (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "First photo of Prince Oscar released by Swedish Court". Royal Central. 7 March 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Te Deum torsdagen den 3 mars 2016" [Te Deum on Thursday, 3 March 2016] (Press release) (in Swedish). Royal Court of Sweden. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "The christening". The Royal Court.
- "Godparents". The Royal Court.
- "Official site". Retrieved 27 May 2016.
Prince Oscar, Duke of SkåneBorn: 2 March 2016
Title last held byGustaf VI Adolf
| Duke of Skåne
|Lines of succession|
| Succession to the Swedish throne
3rd in line
Prince Carl Philip