Prince Ferdinand of Bavaria
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Prince Ferdinand of Bavaria (Ferdinand Maria Ludwig Franz von Assisi Isabellus Adalbert Ildefons Martin Bonifaz Joseph Isidro; 10 May 1884 – 5 April 1958) was a Spanish prince, the eldest son and child of Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria and his wife, Infanta María de la Paz of Spain. Ferdinand became an Infante of Spain on 20 October 1905 and renounced his rights to the throne of the Kingdom of Bavaria in 1914.
|Infante Ferdinand of Spain|
|Born||10 May 1884|
Madrid, Kingdom of Spain
|Died||5 April 1958 (aged 73)|
Madrid, Spanish State
Infanta María Teresa of Spain
(m. 1906; died 1912)
María Luisa de Silva y Fernández de Henestrosa, Duchess of Talavera de la Reina
(m. 1914; died 1955)
|Issue||Infante Luis Alfonso|
Infante José Eugenio
Infanta María de las Mercedes
Infanta María del Pilar
|Father||Prince Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria|
|Mother||Infanta María de la Paz of Spain|
Marriage and issueEdit
Ferdinand married his first cousin, Infanta María Teresa of Spain, second eldest child and daughter of Alfonso XII of Spain and his second wife, Maria Christina of Austria, on 12 January 1906 in Madrid. Ferdinand and María Teresa had four children:
- Infante Luis Alfonso of Spain (6 December 1906 – 14 May 1983)
- Infante José Eugenio of Spain (26 March 1909 – 16 August 1966), married Dona María de la Asunción Solange de Mesía y de Lesseps, Countess of Odiel in 1933, and had issue.
- Infanta María de las Mercedes of Spain (3 October 1911 – 11 September 1953) married Georgian Prince Irakli Bagration of Mukhrani in 1946, and had issue.
- Infanta María del Pilar of Spain (15 September 1912 – 9 May 1918)
This marriage and the granted royal rank in Spain meant that Ferdinand (also known as Infante don Fernando María de Baviera y de Borbón), the third-generation Spanish-Bavarian, committed himself to Spain. His second marriage with a Spanish noblewoman changed nothing in that respect.
Ferdinand married for a second time to María Luisa de Silva y Fernández de Henestrosa, Duchess of Talavera de la Reina, daughter of Luis de Silva y Fernández, 10th Count of Pie de Concha and his wife, Maria de los Dolores Fernández de Henestrosa y Fernández de Córdoba, on 1 October 1914 in Fuenterrabía, Spain. Maria Luisa was also granted the title Infanta of Spain.
Ferdinand survived his mother by 12 years and his father by 9 years. He had Alfonso XIII of Spain as his first cousin and brother-in-law and Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Two Sicilies as another brother-in-law. Spanish claimants Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia, and Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona, were his nephews.
Titles, styles, honours and armsEdit
Titles and stylesEdit
- 10 May 1884 – 20 October 1905: His Royal Highness Prince Ferdinand of Bavaria.
- 20 October 1905 – 5 April 1958: His Royal Highness Infante Ferdinand of Spain, Prince of Bavaria.
- 1,117th Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece (20 October 1905).
- Knight Grand Collar of the Royal Order of Charles III (20 October 1905).
- Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Isabella the Catholic (20 October 1905).
- Grand Commander of León of the Order of Santiago (27 June 1910).
- 300th Knight Grand Cross of the Military Order of the Tower and Sword.
|Ancestors of Prince Ferdinand of Bavaria|