Primavera is an enterprise project portfolio management software. It includes project management, product management, collaboration and control capabilities, and integrates with other enterprise software such as Oracle and SAP’s ERP systems. Primavera was launched in 1983 by Primavera Systems Inc., which was acquired by Oracle Corporation in 2008.
Products and versionsEdit
As of 2008 Primavera Systems supported long-established products - P3 and Sure-Trak - and the newer P6 version. The long-standing P3 product in its various forms was used by 25% of the heavy construction industry, its predominant customer base; the next most popular software was used by 11%. Nearly 40% of general contractors with an annual revenue of $5M to $10M used Primavera P3. In comparison, the P6 version did not register in a CFMA 2008 survey of the United States construction industry. The P3 version to P6 version change is based in a move from DOS-type shortcut keys to mouse-based icons. Thus a software application that was once very fast to use but grounded in shortcut functions (which some users found difficult to master) moved to a mouse-based application that is quicker to learn, but once mastered never achieves the same speed of use. The Primavera Project Planner DOS core launched in 1983 and the P3 Windows interface launched in 1994.
After a 27-year version life, Oracle ceased sales of the P3 and SureTrak versions on December 31, 2010.
In 2012, Primavera P6 EPPM Upgrade Release 8.2 added capabilities for governance, project-team participation, and project visibility. Mobile PPM was introduced through Primavera’s P6 Team Member for iPhone and Team Member Web Interface, to streamline communications between project team members in the field and in the office. In addition, Primavera P6 Analytics Release 2.0 gained new enterprise-reporting tools and dashboards for monitoring and analyzing performance data, including geospatial analysis. Organizations could also investigate comparative trends and cause-and-effect in multiple projects with Primavera Contract Management Release 14 as it included the report-writing capabilities of Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher.
In April 2013 Oracle Corporation announced the release of version 8.4 of Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management. This version incorporated material from Oracle's acquisitions of Skire and Instantis in 2012.
Oracle Primavera services project-intensive industries such as engineering and construction, aerospace and defense, utilities, oil and gas, chemicals, industrial manufacturing, automotive, financial services, communications, travel and transportation, healthcare, and government.
Oracle Corporation's Primavera Global Business Unit (PGBU) focuses as of 2016[update] on providing web-based enterprise project-portfolio management software that encompasses resource allocation, cost reduction, supply-chain efficiency, and decision-making ― using real-time data ― for the enterprise market.
- Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Primavera P6 Professional Project Management
- Primavera P6 Analytics
- Primavera Portfolio Management
- Primavera Contract Management
- Primavera Risk analysis
- Primavera Inspire for SAP
- Primavera Earned Value Management
- Primavera Contractor
- Primavera Unifier
Oracle Primavera Specialized PartnerEdit
- Enstoa 
XER is the extension associated with a Primavera data file. This software is mainly used in oil and gas, construction, manufacturing, transportation, automotive, public sector, and other industries that deal with project planning. The XER format supports project, resource, and role information developed using the P6 Professional PM suite. XER is exported as multiple tables, each table being a CSV file types with TAB as a delimiter.
Use in ransomwareEdit
Primavera has been targeted by extortionists as a way to efficiently compromise digital business assets through fixable software security flaws, leading to a higher return in the usage of ransomware. A security patch is available for most of such exploits.
- "2008 Information Technology Survey for the Construction Industry Seventh Edition", Construction Financial Management Association, 2008. www.cfma.org 
- "Computerized Project Control", F. Drigani, 1989 (google books 'what year was Primavera P3 developed') 
- Heck, Mike (1994-05-16). "Project Planner mixes power, good interface". InfoWorld. p. 100. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
Primavera Project Planner for Windows (P3), from Primavera Systems Inc., is the graphical program that combines all of the well-respected power of its DOS sibling, Project Planner for DOS 5.1, with the hourly scheduling functions of Primavera's Finest Hour 5.1.
- Dataversity - Article: Oracle Releases New Addition on BI Publisher
- Oracle Introduces New Release of Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management
- Oracle updates Primavera project portfolio management software
- "Primavera Enterprise PPM - Industry Solutions", www.oracle.com,
- "Exporting Primavera P6 Professional Files". Tensix. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Understanding Primavera XER Files". Plan Academy. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Krebs, Bryan. "San Francisco Rail System Hacker Hacked". KrebsOnSecurity.com. Krebs on Security. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "Oracle Critical Patch Update Advisory - July 2016." Oracle.com. Oracle Security Advisory. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- The Info-Tech Research Group- Vendor Landscape: Enterprise Project Portfolio Management