Priests of the Sacred Heart
The Congregation of the Priests of the Sacred Heart (Latin: Congregatio Sacerdotum a Sacro Corde Iesu), also known as Dehonians in reference to their founder, Leo John Dehon, is a Roman Catholic clerical religious congregation of Pontifical Right for men (lay brothers and priests) who live, pray and work together.
Congregatio Sacerdotum a Sacro Corde Iesu (Latin)
|Abbreviation||SCJ (post-nominal letters}|
|Formation||June 28, 1878|
|Founder||Venerable Fr.Leo John Dehon, SCJ|
|Founded at||St. Quentin, France|
officialized in Rome, Lazio, Italy
|Type||Clerical Religious Congregation of Pontifical Right (for Men)|
Via del Casale San Pio V, 20, Rome, Italia
|2,189 (includes 1,577 priests) as of 2018|
Adveniat Regnum Tuum
Thy Kingdom Come
|Fr. Carlos Luis Suarez Codorniú, SCJ|
|Roman Catholic Church|
|Oblates of the Sacred Heart of Jesus|
The members of the Congregation add the nominal letters S.C.J. after their names to indicate their membership in the Congregation. SCJ comes from the Latin name of the Congregation, Congregatio Sacerdotum a Sacro Corde Iesu. In the Philippines and North America, members are referred to as the SCJs. In most of the rest of the world, members are known as Dehonians. This name comes from the name of the Congregation's founder, the Venerable Fr. Leo John Dehon.
The congregation is present in over 40 countries on five continents (Europe, Africa, North and South America and Asia). It is headquartered in Rome. Carlos Luis Suarez Codorniú is the current superior general. In the United States, it is based in Hales Corners, Wisconsin. There it also operates the Sacred Heart School of Theology, the largest seminary in the United States for men over the age of 30 who are preparing for the priesthood.
Among other facilities, the Institute owns and operates St. Joseph's Indian School in Chamberlain, South Dakota since 1927. This is an off-reservation boarding school for grades K-8 that serves largely Lakota students.
- Léon Dehon (28 June 1878 - 12 August 1925)
- Joseph Philippe, SCJ (20 January 1926 - 24 October 1935)
- Theodorus Govaart, SCJ (24 October 1935 - 7 September 1953)
- Alphons Lellig, SCJ (11 January 1954 - 13 December 1958)
- Joseph de Palma, SCJ (15 July 1959 - 6 June 1967)
- Albert Bourgeois, SCJ (6 June 1967 - 6 June 1979)
- Antonio Panteghini, SCJ (6 June 1979 - 24 May 1991)
- Virginio Bressanelli, SCJ (24 May 1991 - 27 May 2003)
- José Ornelas Carvalho, SCJ (27 May 2003 - 25 May 2015)
- Heiner Wilmer, SCJ (25 May 2015 - 6 April 2018)
- Carlos Enrique Caamaño Martín, SCJ (6 April 2018 - 20 July 2018)
- Carlos Luis Suarez Codorniú, SCJ (20 July 2018 - )
- http://www.gcatholic. org/orders/015.htm
- http://www. gcatholic.org/orders/015.htm