Pretty Little Liars (season 1)
|Pretty Little Liars (season 1)|
Season 1 DVD cover
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||22|
|Original network||ABC Family|
|Original release||June 8, 2010 –|
April 21, 2011
The show premiered to 2.47 million viewers and retained a regular audience of 2.5 million viewers during its summer run. The summer finale scored 3.07 million viewers, achieving a series high. The show went on hiatus and returned with its winter premiere on January 3, 2011, with 4.20 million viewers, becoming one of ABC Family's top telecasts to date.
Spencer Hastings, Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, Emily Fields, and Alison DiLaurentis are enjoying a sleep-over at Spencer's family's barn in her backyard. The girls drink alcohol and tell secrets, before passing out. When the girls wake up they discover Alison and Spencer missing, however Spencer returns claiming she heard Alison scream and went to look for her. Following Alison's disappearance, the four remaining girls drift apart without their clique leader and Aria's family moves to Iceland for a year.
One year later, Aria returns to Rosewood, and hooks up with Ezra Fitz at a bar and later discovers he is her new English teacher. Hanna has taken Alison's role as the most popular girl at Rosewood High School, along with formerly nerdy Mona Vanderwaal. The girls regularly shoplift from the local mall, until Hanna is caught, and her mother resorts to beginning a sexual relationship with Detective Darren Wilden so Hanna isn't charged. Spencer develops romantic feelings for her older sister Melissa's fiance, British doctor Wren Kingston, while Emily befriends a new girl named Maya, whose family has moved into Alison's former home.
As the story unfolds, each of the girls receive text messages from an anonymous blackmailer, known only as "-A", who threatens them with secrets only Alison would have known. The girls suspect Alison is the one sending the texts, until her body is found buried in her old backyard. The girls begin to search for answers since Alison's body has been found.
- ^Note 1 : Bianca Lawson is credited as a series regular up until episode 13. From episode 14 onwards she is no longer credited.
- ^Note 2 : Nia Peeples is credited as a series regular in episode 1. From episode 2 onwards she is credited as a guest star.
- ^Note 3 : Sasha Pieterse is credited as a guest star in episode 1. From episode 2 onwards she is credited as a series regular.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.S. viewers|
|1||1||"Pilot"||Lesli Linka Glatter||I. Marlene King||June 8, 2010||2.47|
|Aria Montgomery, Emily Fields, Hanna Marin, and Spencer Hastings grow apart when their clique leader Alison DiLaurentis goes missing. A year later they all begin receiving messages from the mysterious "A", who threatens to reveal their darkest secrets. Aria has just returned from Iceland after a year with her family and still feels unable to forgive her father who cheated on her mother, who's still unaware of it; she also discovers that her new English teacher, Ezra Fitz, is the same guy she met at a bar the day before. Hanna is now the "it" girl of the school and indulges in shoplifting, which gets her in trouble and forces her mother to sleep with a detective for her release; Spencer has feelings for her sister's fiancé, Wren Kingston; and Emily befriends a girl named Maya, who just moved into Alison's old house. They soon suspect that Alison is "A", until her body is found. At the funeral, they all worry after seeing Jenna, a classmate who was blinded in an incident involving the four girls and Alison. The girls receive another text: I'm still here bitches. And I know everything -A.|
|2||2||"The Jenna Thing"||Liz Friedlander||I. Marlene King||June 15, 2010||2.48|
|With Jenna's return to Rosewood and to school, the girls are forced to face an unpleasant incident from their past in which with Alison they played a terrible prank (by setting a fire on a garage) on Jenna's step-brother Toby which went horribly wrong, leaving Jenna blind. They thought this dark secret has been sealed forever but "A" won't let them forget it. Meanwhile, questions about the night of Alison's disappearance begin to arise, as the events of that fateful night continue to haunt them. Aria applies for the transference from Ezra's class but her application is rejected. They later make out in his car after Ezra drives by Aria after she gets caught in the rain. Spencer's sister breaks up with her fiancé when she catches him kissing Spencer. Hanna's mom is still reluctantly involved with the detective Wilden, who still doesn't have faith over the girls' description of that night. Maya has moved in with Emily for few days and Emily feels herself attracted to her, which makes her feel guilty because she has a boyfriend (Ben). Aria's father wants to resolve the issues between them; which actually works out positively.|
|3||3||"To Kill a Mocking Girl"||Elodie Keene||Oliver Goldstick||June 22, 2010||2.74|
The girls try to pay tribute to Alison's memory, but they are still faced with unresolved issues. Toby, Jenna's stepbrother, has come back to school. Aria has an unpleasant encounter with her father's former mistress. Spencer faces a vengeful Melissa after her kiss with Wren. Hanna tries to get Sean to forget the 'old Hanna'. Toby and Ben (Emily's boyfriend) have a fight and Emily breaks up with him. Emily and Maya get closer, since Ben is no longer in the picture and Spencer copies her sister's essay and claims it as her own. The girls realize that leaving the past behind is much harder than they first thought.
'A' ending: 'A' listens to jazz music as they print copies of the pictures of Emily and Maya in the Photo Booth.
|4||4||"Can You Hear Me Now?"||Norman Buckley||Joseph Dougherty||June 29, 2010||2.09|
|The girls block e-mails and text messages from all unknown users in an attempt to stop "A," but their problems are far from over. One girl receives a surprise visit, while another receives a surprise gift in class. Hanna meets her dad after a while and realizes that he has a fiance. Aria tries to tell her mom about her dad cheating on her before they went to Iceland, but it looks likes "A" beats her to it. Emily is still confused about Toby and her kiss with Maya. Spencer's Russian article (the one she copied from Melissa), gets entered in a contest and she is still confused about Wren. And just when things couldn't get any more complicated, the girls find out that trying to keep "A" away comes with a price. Spencer arrives home with Hanna to find that somebody has been in her house, leaving a grave on her table and a message on her mirror.|
|5||5||"Reality Bites Me"||Wendey Stanzler||Bryan M. Holdman||July 6, 2010||2.62|
|Aria forgets her cell phone in Ezra's apartment, and after he reads a message from A, he decides to break up with her (thinking that she told someone) rather than risk being fired. Hanna has to work in a dentist office to pay for the damage she did to Sean's car and gets some new information from A about one of her friends. She sees Jenna at the office building wearing the same lipstick, just like the writing on Spencer's mirror. Emily hides her budding friendship with Toby due to the girls' suspicion about him, hurting his feelings. Spencer's father tells her to throw a tennis match against a possible client and his daughter. Ella deals with her husband's cheating, which makes things worse for Aria and Mike.|
|6||6||"There's No Place Like Homecoming"||Norman Buckley||Maya Goldsmith||July 13, 2010||2.69|
Emily accepts an offer to go to Homecoming with Toby, despite Hanna presuming she wanted to go with Maya. Spencer gets ready for Homecoming with Alex as her date, but will things go as she planned them to? Hanna meets Lucas when she joins the 'Real Love Waits' celibacy club with Sean. Aria is still reeling over her breakup with Ezra and the tension between her parents. Spencer asks Hanna to collect Jenna's psychotherapy file, with a shocking twist. 2AM Club guest stars.
'A' ending: 'A' sprayes over the town sign and changes the population census to one less number.
|7||7||"The Homecoming Hangover"||Chris Grismer||Tamar Laddy||July 20, 2010||2.55|
Aria's brother, Mike, doesn't take it very well that his parents are separating, which leads to him fighting in school after his mother decides to not watch his game, as Mike and Aria's father will be there. Emily decides to try dating Maya. Hanna and Sean make-up, but she's more interested in Lucas. Spencer and Alex have some fun in the country's club kitchen. At last, A has still one more creepy message to deliver to the girls, which makes them assume that Toby might be dead. Sara Shepard, writer of the Pretty Little Liars book series, makes a special appearance in the episode as a substitute teacher at Rosewood High School.
'A' ending: 'A' fishes up the documents the girls threw in the river, containing files of Toby Cavanaugh.
|8||8||"Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone"||Arlene Sanford||Joseph Dougherty||July 27, 2010||2.52|
|As new evidences about the day that Alison died comes to the surface, Spencer gets some damaging information from Alison's brother, Jason. Aria agrees to go out on a double date with Sean's friend Noel, and the evening takes an interesting road once Aria realizes that Noel is way more than just a pretty face. Emily and Maya's relationship blossoms when Emily asks Maya on a date. Due to the Marin's financial problems, Hanna's credit card gets declined, so she decides to put a lot of her old clothes and handbags up for auction online with the help of new ally Lucas. Meanwhile, the girls begin to prepare themselves for Alison's memorial day, but once they find out that Jenna will be the one to deliver a speech about Alison, they all get scared. Later that night, a mystery person comes out and destroys Alison's memorial.|
|9||9||"The Perfect Storm"||Jamie Babbit||Oliver Goldstick||August 3, 2010||2.55|
A terrible storm comes to Rosewood, and all of the students are trapped in school. Emily reveals a secret after she's accused of killing Alison. Just as Aria is about to give dating Noel a chance, Ezra returns. Byron leans on Ashley for advice as his relationship with Ella only gets worse. Meanwhile, Spencer discovers something that her mother has been keeping from her. And at the end of the episode, Lucas tries to tell Hanna something. We see his shoes are dirty, suggesting that he was at Alison's memorial.
'A' ending: 'A' sends a file containing video footage of Alison the day she disappeared, to Rosewood Police Department.
|10||10||"Keep Your Friends Close"||Ron Lagomarsino||I. Marlene King||August 10, 2010||3.07|
When new evidence leads the FBI to believe that Toby killed Alison, he tries to tell Emily his side of the story yet she rats him out. Spencer tries to mend fences with her sister Melissa, just as her ex-boyfriend Ian returns. Emily's dad comes back from his deployment and her mother was sent a picture of Emily and Maya kissing. Aria begins to develop feelings for Noel, which complicates her relationship with Ezra even more, until Ezra admits his feelings for her and they kiss with Hanna watching as she keeps post to find out who "A" is. Ashley's financial problems are bringing her to the brink. Meanwhile, the girls go "glamping" for Mona's birthday in hopes of closing in on "A", but when "A"'s identity is revealed to Hanna, "A" runs her over with a car before she gets a chance to tell the others.
'A' ending: 'A' looks at the video of Alison at the Kissing Rock and it is revealed that Ian Thomas was with her.
|11||11||"Moments Later"||Norman Buckley||Joseph Dougherty||January 3, 2011||4.20|
Hanna is now in the hospital and remembers who A is. She tells the girls it was Noel Kahn because she saw him write 'I see you' on the back on Ezra's car while Aria and Ezra were kissing. But the girls are starting to question if the person who killed Alison and 'A' are two different people. Meanwhile, Melissa and Ian elope. Also Lucas admits his feelings for Hanna, but is both angry and heartbroken when she tells him she only likes him as a friend, and tells her that she deserves a better boyfriend than Sean. The girls find out that 'A' wrote on Hanna's leg cast which is, "Sorry for losing my temper, my bad," which could have been anyone who entered Hanna's room while she was asleep. Also, Emily finally has enough courage and comes out to her parents; her father accepts it because she's his daughter and he loves her, but her mother has a much harder time accepting it.
'A' ending: 'A' burns the part of the tree which had the carving of Alison and Ian's name on it.
|12||12||"Salt Meets Wound"||Norman Buckley||Oliver Goldstick||January 10, 2011||3.21|
Hanna mends in a wheelchair upon her release from the hospital, and Mona throws a surprise party for her. At the end of the party, Ashley and Hanna realize someone has stolen the bank loan in the lasagna box. Meanwhile, Aria is struggling to tell Ezra that Noel knows about their relationship; Spencer's romance with Alex hits a snag and Emily invites Maya to dinner with her family; Surprises haunt the Liars as "A" continues the game. It is also revealed that Lucas destroyed Alison's memorial and Jenna was the one who told the police where Toby was.
'A' ending: 'A' puts the hundred dollar bills into a clown piggy bank.
|13||13||"Know Your Frenemies"||Ron Lagomarsino||I. Marlene King||January 17, 2011||2.99|
|"A" makes Hanna eat cupcakes, making her think about being bulimic again. "A" saves Aria's and Ezra's relationship. Emily's mom finds drugs in Maya's bag, and brings the bag to Maya's parents, thus sending her to juvie. Spencer unravels the Ali murder, thinking Ian is the killer. She also finds out that her sister, Melissa, is trying to get pregnant. In the end, a video of Ali and Ian is shown, the camera falls, leaving the watchers hearing someone choking someone. A body is thrown to the ground, Ali's hand appearing in front of the screen. Her name bracelet brings the girls to think Ian killed Ali.|
|14||14||"Careful What U Wish 4"||Norman Buckley||Tamar Laddy||January 24, 2011||3.17|
As the school gets ready for the dance-a-thon, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer have more on their minds than raising money for the school trip to Washington, D.C. Hanna and her mother are having a financial crisis, but when 'A' leaves her an offer that would potentially break Lucas's heart but get her out of money troubles, will she be able to refuse? Emily can only think of Maya and is desperate to speak to her -- so much so that she enlists the help of Caleb, the new bad boy in the school. And as an important piece of property goes missing, Spencer finds being in close quarters with her new brother-in-law, Ian, more difficult than ever. Meanwhile, Aria's former babysitter, Simone (Alona Tal), comes back to town for a surprise visit. But what should be a happy reunion quickly becomes a nightmare for Aria when Simone sets her sights on Ezra.
'A' ending: 'A' receives their black jacket and gloves from Ella Montgomery at the dance-a-thon.
|15||15||"If at First You Don't Succeed, Lie, Lie Again"||Ron Lagomarsino||Maya Goldsmith||January 31, 2011||3.19|
The girls try to resume a sense of normalcy in their lives, but even the simple tasks of dating and extra-curricular activities meet with strife. Emily must deal with a jealous teammate (Lindsey Shaw) who is threatened by Emily's return to the pool, as Aria and Ezra plan their first date out in the open. And Hanna is still stuck playing "A’s" game, but the next hurdle might just have complications for another Liar. With "A" pulling the strings and making matters worse, will the girls be able to weather the storm and lie their way out of it, or will they have to face the ugly truths? Meanwhile, Spencer turns to Ali's brother, Jason, for information about the night they believe Alison died, only to have to face part of her unpleasant past with Ali.
'A' ending: 'A' visits the bead lady and receives a cup of tea as the lady tells her she has done what 'A' told her to do.
|16||16||"Je Suis Une Amie"||Chris Grismer||Bryan M. Holdman||February 7, 2011||3.14|
A crucial swim meet for the Rosewood Sharks is the setting for Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer to experience a lot of turmoil. Emily and Paige go for round two, as they are pitted against each other to compete for the anchor leg of the big race. And Caleb calls in his favor with a guilty Hanna as she tries to deter Aria from asking too many questions about Ella's ticket to the museum opening. Meanwhile, Spencer takes on the task of tutoring Toby in French to try to get some answers.
'A' ending: 'A' listens to a French tutorial while arranging different objects.
|17||17||"The New Normal"||Michael Grossman||Joseph Dougherty||February 14, 2011||2.35|
Aria's dad has a parent-teacher interview with Ezra. Meanwhile Toby and Spencer start to get closer. And Spencer and the girls realized what the note means. Hanna's mom gets in trouble when Mrs. Potter's alleged nephew tries to access Mrs. Potter's safety deposit. Paiges' father shows up at the school and makes a huge scene in the school cafeteria, demanding an answer to why Emily is the swim team captain and not his daughter. He thinks Emily is getting special treatment because she is gay. Later, when Emily is in her car, Paige shows up and kisses her. She quickly leaves saying, "Don't tell."
'A' ending: 'A' places flowers on top of Mrs. Esther Marie Potter's grave.
|18||18||"The Bad Seed"||Paul Lazarus||Oliver Goldstick & Francesca Rollins||February 21, 2011||2.90|
The girls are cast in the school play together; when they finish rehearsing they find a trophy with blood on it, making them think its Alison's blood... but it turns out to be rat's blood; they all revisit memories about when they crashed a frat party; Aria uses the play to get closer to Mr. Fitz; Hanna and Caleb kiss; the police come after the girls at the end with some questions.
'A' ending: Four cages are shown in 'A's' house with a rat in each of them with the name of the Liars. The rat is missing from the cage with Spencer's name.
|19||19||"A Person of Interest"||Ron Lagomarsino||I. Marlene King & Jonell Lennon||February 28, 2011||2.69|
After a shocking revelation from the police, the spotlight is turned on the four liars who look to be crying wolf. But with everything pointing to Ian, how could the girls be wrong? Or could this be just another game "A" is playing with them? With the cops now demanding answers from Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer, will the girls come clean about "A," or are some secrets better left buried? The police take a special interest in Spencer, who accuses Ian of murder. The truth surrounding what happened in Hilton Head is revealed. Meanwhile, secret relationships take a toll on some of the Liars while others blossom. Hanna loses her virginity to Caleb. Love is not for the faint of heart. At the end of the episode Toby and Spencer kiss. When she gets home the cops are there, the secret is revealed that her and Ian were hooking up.
'A' ending: 'A' watches a footage of the girls receiving 'A's' texts while eating popcorn, and replays the video.
|20||20||"Someone to Watch Over Me"||Arlene Sanford||Joseph Dougherty||March 7, 2011||2.95|
As the heat is turned up on the suspicions surrounding Spencer, the girls must come to the reality that they aren't the only ones hiding secrets in Rosewood. Emily and Aria overhear Caleb arguing with someone on the phone about Hanna. They tell Hanna they believe it was a girl, and soon they see Jenna with a pendant Hanna thought Caleb intended for her -- and which turns out to be a flash drive. Hanna confronts Caleb, who says he's been spying for Jenna and she kicks him out of the house for good. Later, Hanna runs into Jenna in the school restroom and slaps her. Jenna cries, and this is the second time we see her face. Aria's mom finds out Aria is dating someone, and tries to find out whom. Aria's dad soon joins in the investigation and nearly finds out about Ezra, until Aria's parents fight over whether they should pry into Aria's life, reversing their reconciliation. Ian encourages Spencer to run away, and Toby asks her not to. Spencer's mother tells Spencer that the police have new evidence against her, but that she thinks Spencer is innocent. Emily and Paige reconcile after Paige reconciles herself to being gay.
'A' ending: 'A' smashes a glass heart with Hanna's name on it, and puts it in a box with a letter to Hanna.
|21||21||"Monsters in the End"||Chris Grismer||Oliver Goldstick||March 14, 2011||2.94|
Aria discovers that Ezra was once engaged to a girl in college called Jackie Molina. Paige gets hurt when Emily cancels a date with her to the Founders Festival. Emily finds the storage locker key in a snow globe Ali gave her. Caleb comes to the Marins' home to drop off a letter for Hanna and lets Ashley know that he is leaving Rosewood to go to Arizona, but Ashley suggests he deliver the letter to Hanna in person, Mona has her own way with the letter. Spencer finds out some more information about Ian, Melissa, and Alison at Hilton Head while preparing for the festival; and is supposed to meet up with Toby but someone traps Spencer in the funhouse. Ian rescues her, and Spencer unites with Toby and they share a kiss. The girls visit the storage room, where they find Ali's old lunchbox containing a flash drive. While watching it, they discover that someone had been spying on them for a long time.
'A' ending: 'A' swipes the key from underneath Ezra's doormat.
|22||22||"For Whom the Bell Tolls"||Lesli Linka Glatter||I. Marlene King||March 21, 2011||3.64|
|With the information from the flash drive, the girls decide that it's time to finally put an end to "A" and the mystery surrounding Alison. Spencer buys a prepaid phone, and uses it to tell Ian that they found the video and to come to the park with $10,000. Aria's mother has a get together with all of the teachers, but Aria is shocked to see Ezra's past love show up. Melissa senses that something wrong with Ian and cannot find her phone, Spencer offers to drive her to the church to find it and along they way they have a car accident. After Emily, Hanna, Aria, and Garrett go to the park to find Ian, a messenger shows up giving them the money instead of Ian. Back at the church, Spencer finds Ian and he chases her to the top of the tower and reveals that he knocked Alison unconscious and attacks her. A hooded figure arrives and pushes Ian off the tower, seemingly killing him. When the police show up, they think the girls are lying because Ian is nowhere to be found.|
Development and productionEdit
Originally developed as a television series by book packaging company Alloy Entertainment, the idea was described as "Desperate Housewives for teens." Alloy met with author Shepard, and gave her the property to develop into a book series. With Alloy and Warner Horizon interested in producing a Pretty Little Liars television series for years, it was first planned for The WB in 2005 with a different writer. The first novel was published by HarperTeen in October 2006. In June 2008, Alloy noted that it was developing a Pretty Little Liars television pilot for ABC Family. The novels are being adapted for television by I. Marlene King.
ABC Family began casting for a Pretty Little Liars television pilot in October 2009. Lucy Hale was cast as Aria Montgomery in the project, followed by Troian Bellisario and Ian Harding (as Spencer Hastings and Ezra Fitz, respectively) in November 2009. In December 2009 The Futon Critic confirmed the casting of Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin and Shay Mitchell as Emily Fields, as well as the addition of Laura Leighton as Ashley Marin, Alexis Denisof as Byron Montgomery, Bianca Lawson as Maya, as well as Jean Louisa Kelly and Nia Peeples. The Hollywood Reporter also noted that Torrey DeVitto and Sasha Pieterse landed recurring roles in the pilot.
The Alloy website later confirmed that Pieterse would be playing Alison DiLaurentis and DeVitto would be Melissa Hastings, also noting Janel Parrish as Mona Vanderwaal and Cody Allen Christian, as Mike Montgomery. In April 2010, Chad Lowe replaced Alexis Denisof as Aria's father, Byron Montgomery. Also in April, Holly Marie Combs was cast as Ella Montgomery.
Live + SD ratingsEdit
|Episode||Air date||Time slot (EST)||Rating/Share (18–49)||Viewers (m)|
|1||1||"Pilot"||June 8, 2010||Tuesdays
|0.9 ||2.47 |
|2||2||"The Jenna Thing"||June 15, 2010||1.0 ||2.48 |
|3||3||"To Kill a Mocking Girl"||June 22, 2010||1.0 ||2.74 |
|4||4||"Can You Hear Me Now?"||June 29, 2010||0.7 ||2.08 |
|5||5||"Reality Bites Me"||July 6, 2010||1.0 ||2.62 |
|6||6||"There's No Place Like Homecoming"||July 13, 2010||0.9 ||2.69 |
|7||7||"The Homecoming Hangover"||July 20, 2010||0.9 ||2.55 |
|8||8||"Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone"||July 27, 2010||0.9 ||2.52 |
|9||9||"The Perfect Storm"||August 3, 2010||0.9 ||2.55 |
|10||10||"Keep Your Friends Close"||August 10, 2010||1.1 ||3.07 |
|11||11||"Moments Later"||January 3, 2011||Mondays
|1.5 ||4.20 |
|12||12||"Salt Meets Wound"||January 10, 2011||1.1 ||3.21 |
|13||13||"Know Your Frenemies"||January 17, 2011||1.2 ||2.99 |
|14||14||"Careful What You Wish For"||January 24, 2011||1.2 ||3.17 |
|15||15||"If at First You Don't Succeed, Lie, Lie Again"||January 31, 2011||1.2 ||3.19 |
|16||16||"Je Suis Une Amie"||February 7, 2011||1.1 ||3.14 |
|17||17||"The New Normal"||February 14, 2011||0.9 ||2.35 |
|18||18||"The Bad Seed"||February 21, 2011||1.0 ||2.90 |
|19||19||"A Person of Interest"||February 28, 2011||1.0 ||2.69 |
|20||20||"Someone to Watch Over Me"||March 7, 2011||1.1 ||2.95 |
|21||21||"Monsters in the End"||March 14, 2011||1.1 ||2.94 |
|22||22||"For Whom the Bell Tolls"||March 21, 2011||1.3 ||3.64 |
|The Complete First Season|
|Set details||Special features|
|United States||United Kingdom||Australia|
|June 7, 2011||September 24, 2012||November 2, 2011|
- "2AM Club to perform on Pretty Little Liars". Hip Online. June 15, 2010. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- Gorman, Bill (June 9, 2010). "Tuesday Cable: Justified Finale & Law & Order:CI Flat, Plus Deadliest Catch, The Hills, WWE NXT & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (June 16, 2010). "Pretty Little Liars Bucks the Trend". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 16, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (June 23, 2010). "Pretty Little Liars Hits Series Highs in Total Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (June 30, 2010). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: Deadliest Catch, Pretty Little Liars, Law & Order:CI, The Hills, Memphis Beat & Lots More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 30, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (July 8, 2010). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: Deadliest Catch, Pretty Little Liars, Memphis Beat, Law & Order:CI Finale & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (July 14, 2010). "Tuesday Cable: Deadliest Catch Soars, Plus White Collar, Covert Affairs, Memphis Beat, The Hills Finale Ratings & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 14, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (July 21, 2010). "Tuesday Cable: Deadliest Catch, Plus White Collar, Pretty Little Liars, Warehouse 13, Teen Mom & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 21, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (July 28, 2010). "Tuesday Cable: Deadliest Catch, Covert Affairs, White Collar, Pretty Little Liars, Teen Mom & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (August 4, 2010). "Tuesday Cable: Warehouse 13, Pretty Little Liars, Memphis Beat, Teen Mom & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (August 11, 2010). "Tuesday Cable: 'Pretty Little Liars' Goes Over 3 Million in Finale + Covert Affairs, Warehouse 13, Teen Mom & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 11, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (January 11, 2011). "Cable Top 25: Bowl Games, 'Jersey Shore,' 'The Closer' Top Weekly Cable Viewing". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- Seidman, Robert (January 11, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: Pretty Little Liars, Greek, Hoarders, Men of a Certain Age & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (January 19, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Jersey Shore,' Special; Plus 'Skins,' 'Being Human' Premieres, 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Pawn Stars,' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (January 25, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Being Human,' 'Pawn Stars' Rise; 'Skins' Falls & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 25, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (February 1, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Up Again; 'Pretty Little Liars' Steady; 'Being Human,' 'Skins' Fall & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 1, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (February 8, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Leads Again; 'Pretty Little Liars' Steady-ish; 'Skins' Still Falling & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (February 15, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars' Leads Again; 'Pretty Little Liars' Slips; 'Skins' Keeps Falling & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 15, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (February 23, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: WWE Raw Leads Night; 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Skins' Rises + 'Big Time Rush,' 'Being Human' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (March 1, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Raw' Leads Night; 'Skins,' 'Being Human' Rise + 'Pretty Little Liars,' 'Cake Boss' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (March 8, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Raw' Leads Night; 'Skins Drops; 'Stargate SGU' Returns + 'Greek' Finale, 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (March 15, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Raw' Leads Night; 'Skins; 'Stargate SGU' + 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 15, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (March 22, 2011). "Monday Cable Ratings: 'Pawn Stars Tops Night; Plus 'RAW,' 'Skins,' 'Pretty Little Liars' Rise;'Stargate SGU,' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- Maughan, Shannon (June 26, 2008). "Moving On Up: Pretty Little Liars". PublishersWeekly.com/Reed Elsevier Inc. Archived from the original on January 28, 2010. Retrieved June 4, 2009.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 19, 2009). "ABC Family nears Little Liars pickup". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on January 27, 2010. Retrieved November 24, 2009.
- "Pretty Little Liars: Reviews and Product Details". Amazon.com. Retrieved May 30, 2009.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 11, 2009). "ABC Family fills comedy, Liars roles". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on January 27, 2010. Retrieved November 24, 2009.
- "ABC Family announces additional casting for its upcoming pilots" (PDF) (Press release). ABC Family. December 7, 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 27, 2010. Retrieved January 28, 2010.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 7, 2009). "Laura Leighton joins Pretty Little Liars". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on January 27, 2010. Retrieved December 7, 2009.
- "The Pretty Little Truth: Pretty Little Liars on TV!". Blogs.alloyentertainment.com (Official site). January 28, 2010. Archived from the original on May 30, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 1, 2010). "Chad Lowe joins ABC Family series". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- Gorman, Bill (January 4, 2011). "Return of 2010's Breakout Hit Series "Pretty Little Liars" Becomes ABC Family's No. 2 Telecast Ever in Women 18-34/Females 12-34". TV by the Numbers. Archived from the original on July 21, 2015. Retrieved January 4, 2011.
- Pretty Little Liars - Press Release for 'The Complete 2nd Season' DVDs of the ABC Family Show Archived 2011-02-20 at the Wayback Machine - tvshowsondvd.com
- "Pretty Little Liars - Season 1 [DVD]". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- "Pretty Little Liars - The Complete 1st Season (5 Disc Set)". ezydvd.com.au. Retrieved February 27, 2012.