|President of the Autonomous Region of Bougainville|
|Term length||Five years and renewable once|
|Inaugural holder||Joseph Kabui|
|Formation||15 June 2005|
|Deputy||Vice-President of the Autonomous Region of Bougainville|
|Website||President of Bougainville|
List of presidents of the Autonomous Region of BougainvilleEdit
The first President of Bougainville was Joseph Kabui, who was elected in June 2005, following the 2000 peace agreement which ended the Bougainville War. Kabui died of an apparent heart attack on 7 June 2008, and Vice-President John Tabinaman took over as Acting President until a new election was held.
|Number||Name||Term start||Term end||Party|
|1||Joseph Kabui||15 June 2005||7 June 2008||Bougainville People's Congress|
|-||John Tabinaman (acting)||7 June 2008||6 January 2009|
|2||James Tanis||6 January 2009||10 June 2010||Bougainville People's Congress|
|3||John Momis||10 June 2010||10 June 2015||New Bougainville Party|
|10 June 2015||25 September 2020|
|4||Ishmael Toroama||25 September 2020||Incumbent||Bougainville People’s Alliance Party|
Previous regional leadersEdit
Bougainville has been headed by several different types of administration: a decentralised administration headed by a Premier (as North Solomons Province from 1975 to 1990), an appointed administrator during the height of the Bougainville Civil War (from 1990 to 1995), a Premier heading the Bougainville Transitional Government (from 1995 to 1998), the co-chairmen of the Bougainville Constituent Assembly (1999), a Governor heading a provincial government as in other parts of Papua New Guinea (2000 to 2005) and the Autonomous Bougainville Government (since 2005).
President of the secessionist Republic of North Solomons (1975)Edit
Bougainville Constituent Assembly Co-chairmen (1999)Edit
|Gerard Sinato and Joseph Kabui||January 1999 – December 1999|
- "Bougainville president Kabui dies". The Age. 2008-06-07. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- "Funeral for Bougainville leader", BBC News, 10 June 2008.
- Laukai, Aloysius (2008-06-11). "Momis sworn in, Caretaker announced". New Dawn FM 95.3. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- May, R. J. "8. Decentralisation: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back". State and society in Papua New Guinea: the first twenty-five years. Australian National University. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Provinces". rulers.org. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Parliamentary Education in Bougainville" (PDF). Parliament of Queensland. Retrieved 12 April 2017.