Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador
The Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador is the first minister, head of government and de facto chief executive for the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Since 1949, the Premier's duties and office has been the successor to the ministerial position of the Prime Minister of the former Dominion of Newfoundland. Before 2001, the official title was Premier of Newfoundland.
|Premier of |
Newfoundland and Labrador
|Government of Newfoundland and Labrador|
Office of the Premier
|Reports to||House Assembly|
|Appointer||Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Term length||At Her Majesty's pleasure|
|Inaugural holder||Joey Smallwood|
|Formation||April 1, 1949|
|Salary||$95,357 plus $39,514 (indemnity and allowances) |
The Premier is appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador, as representative of the Queen in Right of Newfoundland and Labrador. He or she is usually the leader of the party that commands a majority in the House of Assembly. The word Premier is derived from the French word of the same spelling, meaning "first"; and ultimately from the Latin word primarius, meaning "primary".
The responsibilities of the Premier usually include:
- serving as the President of the Executive Council and head of the provincial Cabinet. The Executive Council is the formal name of the Cabinet when it is acting in its legal capacity.
- serving as the head of the provincial government
- leading the development and implementation of government policies and priorities
- serving as the senior communicator of government priorities and plans between:
- the Lieutenant Governor and Cabinet
- the Newfoundland and Labrador government and other provincial and territorial governments
- the Newfoundland and Labrador Government and the federal government and international governments
- functions in respect of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador, such as recommending to the Lieutenant Governor the appointment of cabinet ministers and allocating ministerial portfolios
- serving as leader of a major political party and its caucus of MHAs
- representing their constituency in the House of Assembly
Timeline of PremiersEdit
Office of the Premier of Newfoundland and LabradorEdit
The Office of the Premier is located at the Confederation Building East Block. Staff at the office consists of:
- Director of Communications
- Special Assistant (Strategic Communications)
- Special Assistant (Communications)
- Onions, C.T. Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology. 1985.