Praveen D. Rao
Praveen D. Rao
|Occupation||Multi-Instrumentalist, Music Composer, Lyricist|
He was trained by Pt. R. V. Sheshadri Gawai of Aravinda Sangeetha Vidyalaya and Tabla Maestro Pandit Ravindra Yavagal. Rao has composed music for theatre works, ballets, films, television and commercials.
- Sanghatane - directed by Sri Bhargava
- 67 Harris Road
- Vasantha Gaana
- Nighuda Jagatthu - directed by Sri Amardev
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa - directed by Sri Praveen Nayak
- Chandamama Chakkulimama
- Beladingalagi Baa
- Laali - directed by Sri A.G. Sheshadri
- Sanje Mallige
- Muktha (telefilm) - directed by Srinivas Prabhu
- Tulasi - directed by Sunil Kumar Singh
- Venkata Ramana Govinda
- Baduku - for Nagendra Shah
- Seete - directed by Ashok Kashyap
- Guptagaamini - directed by Ramesh Kumar
- Red Box
- Santheli Mane
- Aadimanassillada Marga
- Kacheri Kanda
- Shiva Leelaamrutha
- Shiva Charithaamrutha
- Kalyana Rekhe
- Chitte Heeje
- Mithuna Raashi
- Lakshmi Baaramma
- Z - for Praveen Nayak
- Sumangali - A.G. Seshadri
- Nanage Neenu Ninage Naanu - for Anitha Subramanya
- Stumble - for Prakash Belawadi (won the National Award for Best English Feature Film of the year 2002)
- Kanakambari - for Dinesh Babu
- Chitra Vichitra - for Sushma, Akanksha Combines
- Dildaara - directed by Amar
- Manthana - by Srinath Vasistha
- Mana Manthana - by Suresh Heblikar
Original scores for dance and physical theatre productionsEdit
Midlands Art Centre, U.K.
- PRINCESS AUBERGINE (1995)
Chitraleka Dance Company, U.K.
- PANCHATANTRA (1994),
- KAISHIKI (1995),
- RAMAYANA (1996),
- CONFERENCE OF BIRDS (2002)
Smt. Indira Thiagarajah, London.
- BIMBA PRATIBIMBA (1993)
Abhinava Dance Company, Bangalore.
- DATTA MAHIMA
- DWADASHATMA (1994),
- SPIRIT OF DANCE (1995),
- MANINI (1995),
- SAMARPAN SWEEKAR (1998),
- SAATH SAAT (2000),
- SHRINGAR RAAM (2001),
- PREM SHANTHI (2002),
- NIGAH (2003),
- TA DHA (2004),
- MUSHTI (2005),
- TAD BHARATHAM (2019)
- PATANJALI YOGA SUTRA (2000),
- MEERA (2003)
Smt. Radha Sridhar, Bangalore.
- MEGHADOOTHA (1999)
Prabhath International, Bangalore.
- SRINIVASA KALYANA (2000)
- SHILA BAALIKA (2001),
- FLUTE FANTASY (2001),
- PISCEAN PASSION (2002)
Prabhat Kalavidaru, Bangalore.
- KARUNAMAYA SHIVA
Nadam Academy of Performing Arts.
Rasika Dance Academy.
- DEVANGA MAHIMA
Smt. Piali Ray, U. K.
- SHYAMA (1993) - Rabindranath Tagore's Musical
SAMPAD YUVA, U. K.
- A BREATH OF LIFE,
- INEQUALITY (1993)
Smt. M. P. Suma, Bangalore.
- VIJAYA KALYANA,
- VACHANA VYBHAVA
STEM contemporary dance theatre, Bangalore
- CROWS - CAWS – FACADES (1995)
Gig Payne, U.K.
- CONVERSATIONS - PERFORMING ABILITIES OF THE MULTIPLE DISABLED (1994)
- PRAKRITI (2004)
- LIFE OF JESUS (2002),
- JYOTHIRGAMAYA (2003)
Smt. Padmini Ravi, Bangalore.
- TAMTANA (2004)
- CHAITANYA MAHAPRABHU (2004)
Smt. Supriya Desai, U.S.A.
- MAHISHASURA MARDINI,
- SRI KRISHNA PARIJATHA (2003)
Smt. Maya Rao, Natya Institute of Kathak and Choreography, Bangalore.
- YASHODARA (2004),
- THE DUST OF BRIJ (2003)
- SARE JAHAN SE ACCHA (July 2005)
- SNOW WHITE(2004),
- RAMAYANA (July 2005)
Ramakrishna Vidyashala, Mysore.
- NRITYA SANGEETH BHARATHI (2004),
- SARVA DHARMA SAMANVAYACHARYA SRI RAMAKRISHNA (2004)
Guy Hutchins, Moby Duck Theatre Company, U.K.
- MAZE MAKER (Mar 2004),
- BOPOLUCHI (Nov 2004),
- FIRE GIRL (Jan 2005),
- BLOODHANDS (Aug 2005)
- GRANNY VAMPIRE (Aug 2006)
Sampradaya Dance Creations, Toronto
- VIVARTA (Mar 2005)
North West Dance Alliance, Manchester.
- DEVI DIVA (July 2005)
- ABHIKA (2005-2006)
- PRAYOG (2007)
- NATYA SHASTRA (2018)
Rao has performed at national and international festivals including Pattadakal Festival, Navaraspur Festival, Lord Mayor's Cultural Event 1994 (Birmingham), World Veerashaiva Conference 1997 (U.S.A.), World Konkani Conference 2002 (Texas), Soorya Festival, and Nishagandhi Festival. He has toured India and abroad performing and conducting workshops.
- Canada - with Smt. Maya Rao (1992)
- Toronto - with Sampradaya Dance Creations (2005)
- United Kingdom - with Chitraleka Dance Company
- Janapada (1993)
- Panchatantra (1994)
- Kaishiki (1995)
- Story of 'C' (2003–2004)
- Tears of Fire (2006)
- Moby Duck Theatre company: Maze Maker (Mar 2004)
- Bopoluchi (Nov 2004)
- Fire Girl (Jan 2005)
- Bloodhands (Aug 2005)
- Granny Vampire (Aug 2006)
- U S A - with Smt. Beena Badami (1997) and with Sri. Puttur Narasimha Nayak (2002)
He is the founder of event management NGO Prakruthi that works towards a greener India by bringing people out of hibernation into parks. Prakruthi increases awareness about Kannada literature and the culture of Karnataka through music. The Prakruthi Team organizes musical programs all over the state.
- Aryabhatta Award - 1998
- Aryabhatta Award - 2000
- Aryabhatta Award - 2010
- Swaramandara Award (Hombale) - 1998
- Swaramandara Award (Hombale) - 2000
- G.V. Athri Award (Upasana) - 2000
- Silicon Jaycees Award - 2003
- Best music director award for Guptagamini, an Etv Kannada serial
As a composer, Rao created a style of his own. He has scored theatre, ballet, film and television productions. Rao scored the music to Sri M. S. Sathyu's short film Namak Ki Kankari (1996). As an arranger, he is known for fusing Hindustani music, Carnatic music with western techniques and arranged background scores for various films. He worked with theatre personalities including Sri A. S. Murthy, Sri B. V. Karanth and B. Jayashri etc. Rao has been involved in theatre in various capabilities. He has worked as a musician, composer, actor and director. He has acted in quite a few soap operas on television including Asare, Tulasi, Manvantara and Muktha.
He was commissioned by SAMPAD, UK to compose music for Moving Earth, a dance and music production that was part of the 2012 London Olympics.
He toured as a part of Chakrafonics ,a world music band that addresses genres from Indian classical fusion to world music. Chakrafonics toured the US, UK and Australia (2014-2015).
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Praveen D. Rao at Music India
- Reality show
- "'Dildaara' an impressive film by newcomers (Kannada Movie Review) - Sulekha Movies".
- "Laali - Pallavi Arun Kannada Bhaavageethegalu Praveen D Rao, Raju Ananthaswamy ::: KannadaAudio.com". www.kannadaaudio.com.
- "Tirukana Kanasu Kannada Children Songs ::: KannadaAudio.com". www.kannadaaudio.com.
- "muzigle.com". www.muzigle.com.
- on YouTube