Posterior chamber of eyeball
The posterior chamber is a narrow space behind the peripheral part of the iris, and in front of the suspensory ligament of the lens and the ciliary processes. The posterior chamber consists of small space directly posterior to the iris but anterior to the lens. The posterior chamber is part of the anterior segment and should not be confused with the vitreous chamber (in the posterior segment).
|Posterior chamber of the eyeball|
|Latin||Camera posterior bulbi oculi|
Posterior chamber is an important structure involved in production and circulation of aqueous humor. Aqueous humor produced by the epithelium of the ciliary body is secreted into the posterior chamber, from which it flows through the pupil to enter the anterior chamber.
The hypermature cataractous lens or,the intraocular lens (IOL)  implanted after cataract surgery may obstruct the aqueous flow through the pupil. The block in flow of aqueous from the posterior to the anterior chamber will lead to a condition known as Iris bombe. In this condition, pressure in the posterior chamber rises, resulting in anterior bowing of the peripheral iris and obstruction of the trabecular meshwork. This may result in an acute attack of angle closure glaucoma. Surgical management of Glaucoma due to Iris bombe include making a small hole in the iris which allows passage of aqueous from posterior chamber to anterior chamber either by YAG or Argon laser iridotomy  or by manual iridectomy.
- www.arkeo.com, produced by Arkeo, Inc. "Visual System - Segments of the Eye". teaching.pharmacy.umn.edu. Archived from the original on 2018-12-19. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- "Flow of Aqueous Humor". yale.
- Harpreet Gill, MD Staff Physician, Henry Ford Ophthalmology (Sep 20, 2018). "Phacomorphic Glaucoma". Medscape.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Mitchell V Gossman, MD (May 2, 2018). "Pseudophakic Pupillary Block". Medscape.
- Christopher Kirkpatrick, MD (October 10, 2013). "Iris Bombe". University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences.
- "Iris Bombe". Colombiauniversity Department of Ophthalmology.
- Daljit singh. "Iridectomy and Iridotomy". Entokey.
- Anatomy figure: 29:05-11 at Human Anatomy Online, SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Atlas image: eye_2 at the University of Michigan Health System - "Sagittal Section Through the Eyeball"