Postage stamps and postal history of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
The first stamps specifically for South Georgia were issued in 1944 and consisted of overprints on stamps of the Falkland Islands for use in South Georgia when it was part of the Falkland Islands Dependencies.
1946 to 1963Edit
From 1946 to 1963, South Georgia used stamps of the Falkland Islands Dependencies.
1963 to 1979Edit
In 1963, British Antarctic Territory was formed, leaving only the island groups of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands in the Falkland Islands Dependencies. From 1963 to 1979, South Georgia had its own stamps simply marked South Georgia.
1980 to 1985Edit
From 1980 to 1985, South Georgia again used stamps of the Falkland Islands Dependencies.
From 1986 stamps of the territory are inscribed South Georgia & South Sandwich Is.
- Heijtz, Stefan. Specialised Stamp Catalogue of The Falkland Islands & Dependencies: Including postal history and cancellations 1800-1996. Stockholm: Stefan Heijtz, 1995, pp. 90-95. ISBN 91-630-3676-2
- Stanley Gibbons Stamp Catalogue: Commonwealth and British Empire Stamps 1840-1970. 110th edition. London: Stanley Gibbons, 2008, p. 214. ISBN 0-85259-653-7
- Grant, B.S.H. The Postage Stamps of the Falkland Islands and Dependencies. London: Stanley Gibbons, 1952.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stamps of South Georgia.|
- The Falkland Islands Philatelic Study Group.
- Stamps - South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands official website.
|This philatelic article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|