The war portal
War is a state of armed conflict between states, governments, societies and informal paramilitary groups, such as mercenaries, insurgents and militias. It is generally characterized by extreme violence, aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces. Warfare refers to the common activities and characteristics of types of war, or of wars in general. Total war is warfare that is not restricted to purely legitimate military targets, and can result in massive civilian or other non-combatant suffering and casualties.
The scholarly study of war is sometimes called polemology ( POL-ə-MOL-ə-jee), from the Greek polemos, meaning "war", and -logy, meaning "the study of".
While some scholars see war as a universal and ancestral aspect of human nature, others argue it is a result of specific socio-cultural or ecological circumstances.
The Polish September Campaign was the conquest of Poland by the armies of Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and a small contingent of Slovakian forces during the Second World War. The campaign began on 1 September 1939 following a German-staged attack. This military operation, which saw the first use of Blitzkrieg tactics, marked the start of the Second World War in Europe as the invasion led Poland's allies, the United Kingdom and France, to declare war on Germany on September 3. On September 17, 1939, the Soviet Red Army invaded the eastern regions of Poland. The Soviets were acting in co-operation with Nazi Germany, carrying out their part of the secret appendix of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact (the division of Europe into Nazi and Soviet spheres of influence). The campaign ended on 6 October 1939, with Germany and the Soviet Union occupying the entirety of Poland.
Did you know...?
Major topics and categories
Things you can do
|Summary of Military history WikiProject open tasks|
watch · edit · full list
- News and announcements
- Current discussions
- A Request for Comment regarding inclusion of mentions in the Wehrmachtbericht in articles has opened, all editors are invited to comment.
- A discussion regarding whether or not to include non-notable crew in a ship article has begun over at WikiProject Ships, all editors are invited to comment.
- Featured article candidates
- Rwandan Civil War • Phillip Davey • Sloan–Parker House • Battle of Neville's Cross • HMS Erin • Emanuel Moravec • Ragnar Garrett • WAVES • Al-Mu'tasim
- Featured article review
- Werner Mölders • Battle of Cannae
- A-Class review
- GL Mk. I radar • Jacobite rising of 1745 • Aegidius • Tegetthoff-class battleship • SM U-2 (Austria-Hungary) • Ottoman conquest of Lesbos • Soviet cruiser Admiral Oktyabrsky • Escape of Viktor Pestek and Siegfried Lederer from Auschwitz • French battleship Courbet (1911) • James Crichton (soldier) • Nazi Germany • Apollo 11 • Lou Spence • Rhine Campaign of 1795 • German torpedo boat Albatros • Fall of Kampala • Battle of Hulao • Battle of Auberoche • SMS Lothringen • Battle of Vrbanja Bridge • Marcus Aurelius • Battle of Elands River (1900)
- Peer reviews
- Ira T. Wyche • Crusades • Morocco in World War II • Wally Schirra • New Zealand and Australian Division
- Good article nominees
- Shmerke Kaczerginski • Goat Canyon (Tijuana River Valley) • Timișoara Fortress • 1st West Virginia Volunteer Cavalry Regiment • Mohammad Khan Tokhmaq Ustajlu • 91st Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment • First Opium War • Milorad Petrović • William Bonville, 1st Baron Bonville • 28th (Thames and Medway) Anti-Aircraft Brigade • Occupation of Japan • Gnaeus Calpurnius Piso (consul 23 BC) • Battle of Bouvines • Brooklyn Army Terminal • Kaiser Franz Joseph I-class cruiser • Muhammad VII of Granada • Theresienstadt family camp • Transport of Białystok children • SB Centaur • John B. Magruder • Baldwin I of Jerusalem • Hadrian • Battle of Meligalas • Northern Expedition • Topoľčany pogrom • Tennessee in the American Civil War • Gascon campaign of 1345 • Vettore Cappello • Treaty of Gallipoli • HMS Latona (1781) • Dicta Boelcke • Battle of Calais (1349) • Karl Plagge • Siege of Aiguillon • Byzantine army (Komnenian era) • Buzz Aldrin • Ivanhorod Einsatzgruppen photograph • Constantine V • NMS Regele Ferdinand • NMS Regina Maria • Virgil L. Peterson • Theresienstadt concentration camp • Wolfram Wette • HMS Formidable (1898) • HMS Irresistible (1898) • HMS Implacable (1899) • Kawaji Toshiyoshi • HMS London (1899) • HMS Venerable (1899) • USS Oberrender • German torpedo boat T22 • Philip III of Navarre
Articles that need... work on referencing and citation (70,983) • only work on referencing and citation (17,526) • work on coverage and accuracy (56,772) • only work on coverage and accuracy (5,653) • work on structure (16,895) • only work on structure (101) • work on grammar (5,777) • only work on grammar (50) • work on supporting materials (15,770) • only work on supporting materials (669) • assessment (291) • assessment as lists (1) • project tags fixed (1) • assessment checklists added (23,542) • assessment checklists completed (977) • attention to task force coverage (596)