Sega Games Co., Ltd. (stylized as SEGA) is a Japanese multinational video game developer and publisher headquartered in Tokyo. Its international branches, Sega of America and Sega Europe, are respectively headquartered in Irvine, California and London. Sega's arcade division, once part of Sega Corporation, has existed as Sega Interactive Co., Ltd. since 2015. Both companies are subsidiaries of Sega Holdings Co., Ltd., which is in turn a part of Sega Sammy Holdings.
Sega was founded by Martin Bromley and Richard Stewart as Nihon Goraku Bussan on June 3, 1960. The company became known as Sega Enterprises, Ltd. after acquiring Rosen Enterprises, an importer of coin-operated games. Sega developed its first coin-operated game with Periscope in the late 1960s. In 1969, Sega was sold to Gulf and Western Industries. Following a downturn in the arcade business in the early 1980s, Sega began to develop video game consoles, starting with the SG-1000 and Master System, but struggled against competitors such as the Nintendo Entertainment System. In 1984, Sega executives David Rosen and Hayao Nakayama led a management buyout of the company with backing from CSK Corporation.
Did you know...
- The Quartermasters (70's)
- The Arcade Experts. (early 80's)
- The challenge will always be there. (c. 1987, Master System)
- Now, there are no limits. (c. 1986-1987, Master System)
- Welcome To The Next Level. (c. 1992-1994, Genesis, Sega CD, Game Gear)
- Genesis does what Nintendon't. (c. 1989-1991, Genesis)
- The "SEGA!!! scream". (c. 1992-1997, Genesis, Saturn, probably others)
- Do me a favour, plug me into a Sega (talking TV).
- To be this good takes AGES, To be this good takes SEGA.
- Segata Sanshiro (c. 1997-1998, Saturn, Japan)
- Hot hits today! Hot hits on the way! (c. 1988, Master System)
- Major fun and games! (c. 1988-1989, Master System)
- Sega, c'est plus fort que toi ! ('Sega, it's stronger than you!', cult French TV slogan, early 90's)
- It's Thinking. (promotion for Dreamcast)
- Up to 6 billion players. (Early Dreamcast tagline)
- Upcoming games
- Recently-released games
The Sega Task Force
The Sega Task Force serves as this portal's partner. The Task Force aims to work on and improve all Sega-realated articles. If you are interested in Sega or its subsidiaries and would like to join, please do so!
WikiProjects and Task Forces
Things you can do
Please help expand this portal
If you can help expand this portal, feel free to do so! We need people to:
- Create new articles
- Edit existing articles