was a name coined by "Emperor of Mexico" Maximilian I
in an effort to gain legitimacy, since his patron, Napoleon III
, spoke French
, a Latinate tongue like Spanish and Portuguese. Maximilian did not last, but the coinage of "Latin America" is one of the most successful of all time. Latin America is traditionally defined as the regions
of the Americas
, the language of Spain
, and Portuguese
, the language of Portugal
, were spoken -- in other words, every part of the Western Hemisphere
, with the exception of Suriname and a few small islands that speak Dutch
, that was not Anglo America
. (English is a Germanic language
.) Therefore, virtually all of the Western Hemisphere
except the United States
, Canada, and the non-Hispanophone
countries of the Caribbean
and South America
have tended to come under the heading of Latin America. Other areas where languages derived from Latin
, such as Papiamento
, predominate are sometimes included and sometimes excluded from Latin America, depending on the speaker.
The Andean Condor
) is a species of South American bird in the New World vulture
and is the only member of the genus Vultur
. Found in the Andes
mountains and adjacent Pacific coasts of western South America, it has the largest wingspan (at 3.2 m or 10.5 ft)
of any land bird. It is a large black vulture with a ruff of white feathers surrounding the base of the neck and, especially in the male, large white patches on the wings. The head and neck are nearly featherless, and are a dull red color, which may flush and therefore change color in response to the bird's emotional state. In the male, there is a wattle on the neck and a large, dark red comb
or caruncle on the crown of the head. Unlike most birds of prey
, the male is larger than the female. The Andean Condor is a national symbol of Peru
, and Ecuador
, and plays an important role in the folklore
of the Andean regions. The Andean Condor is considered near threatened
by the IUCN
. It is threatened by habitat loss and by secondary poisoning
from carcasses killed by hunters. Captive breeding
programs have been instituted in several countries.
Did you know...
Subportals for geopolitical entities
Latin American News
- February 19, Ecuador: Lenín Moreno defeats Guillermo Lasso (both pictured) in the Ecuadorian general election, but both will go to a runoff election.The Guardian
- October 2, Colombia: A referendum rejected the peace deals with the FARC (pictured), by 50.2% to 49.8%.BBC
- August 25, Colombia: The Colombian conflict comes to an end with a peace deal between the government of Colombia and the FARC.The Guardian
- August 5, Brazil: The 2016 Summer Olympics open in Rio de Janeiro.
- June 7, Peru: Pedro Pablo Kuczynski narrowly defeats Keiko Fujimori in the presidential elections.The Guardian
- May 31, Organization of American States: Luis Almagro, head of the Organization of American States, request an evaluation of democracy in venezuela, which may cause their suspension from the body.The Guardian
- May 31, Brazil: Fabiano Silveira, minister of acting president Michel Temer, resigns after scandal of leaked tapes.The Guardian
The mola or molas, forms part of the traditional outfit of a Kuna woman, two mola panels being incorporated as front and back panels in a blouse. The full costume traditionally includes a patterned wrapped skirt (saburet), a red and yellow headscarf (musue), arm and leg beads (wini), a gold nose ring (olasu) and earrings in addition to the mola blouse (dulemor).
In Dulegaya, the Kuna's native language, "mola" means "shirt" or "clothing". The mola originated with the tradition of Kuna women painting their bodies with geometrical designs, using available natural colors; in later years these same designs were woven in cotton, and later still, sewn using cloth bought from the European settlers of Panamá.