The El Salvador portal
El Salvador (; Spanish: [el salβaˈðoɾ] (listen), literally "The Saviour"), officially the Republic of El Salvador (Spanish: República de El Salvador), is a country in Central America. It is bordered on the northeast by Honduras, on the northwest by Guatemala, and on the south by the Pacific Ocean. El Salvador's capital and largest city is San Salvador. As of 2021, the country had a population of approximately 6,825,935.
For millennia, the region was controlled by several Mesoamerican nations, especially Lenca after 600 AD, Mayans, then the Cuzcatlecs. Archaeological monuments also suggest an early Olmec presence around the first millennium BC. In the beginning of the 16th century, the Spanish Empire conquered the Central American territory, incorporating it into the Viceroyalty of New Spain ruled from Mexico City. However the Viceroyalty of Mexico had little to no influence in the daily affairs of the isthmus, which was colonized in 1524. In 1609, the area was declared the Captaincy General of Guatemala by the Spanish, which included the territory that would become El Salvador until its independence from Spain in 1821. It was forcefully incorporated into the First Mexican Empire, then seceded, joining the Federal Republic of Central America in 1823. When the federation dissolved in 1841, El Salvador became a sovereign state, then formed a short-lived union with Honduras and Nicaragua called the Greater Republic of Central America, which lasted from 1895 to 1898. (Full article...)
Selected article -
Selected image -
El Salvador news
- September 20, 2021 – El Salvador–United States relations, Guatemala–United States relations
- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken announces that the department has included five judges of the Supreme Court of El Salvador as well as the Attorney General of Guatemala María Consuelo Porras in a list of "undemocratic and corrupt" officials. (Swissinfo)
- September 17, 2021 –
- President of El Salvador Nayib Bukele says that the proposed constitutional reforms he sent for review will not include the legalization of abortion or same-sex marriage. El Salvador has one of the strictest anti-abortion laws in the world. (Reuters)
- September 7, 2021 –
- El Salvador becomes the first country in the world to adopt the cryptocurrency Bitcoin as legal tender as well as the national currency as the Bitcoin Law comes into effect. However, a small but growing number of people opposed to the new law protested against it in the capital, San Salvador. (Al Jazeera English) (The Wall Street Journal)
- August 27, 2021 – Economy of Cuba
- Cuba recognizes cryptocurrency as legal tender, becoming the second nation to do so after El Salvador. (Al Jazeera)
- July 31, 2021 – COVID-19 pandemic
- COVID-19 pandemic in El Salvador
- El Salvador reports its first case of the Lineage B.1.617 Delta variant, which was originally detected in India. (Reuters)
Did you know...
- ...that El Salvador is one of the most densely populated countries in Latin America, and also one of the most industrialized?
- ...that El Salvador uses the U.S. Dollar as its currency?
- ...that the department of Sonsonate is known for its coconuts?
- ...that Roque Dalton, one of El Salvador's most beloved writers, was imprisoned and persecuted by the Salvadoran Communist Guerrilla?
- ...that El Salvador and Honduras fought a war in 1969?
Select [►] to view subcategories