The Capital District, also known as the Capital Region, is the metropolitan area surrounding Albany, the capital of the U.S. state of New York. With a population of 1,170,483 (2013), the Capital District is the third largest metropolitan region in the state and the 45th largest in the country. Companies that have headquarters in Albany include CommerceHub and the Environment One Corporation. In the 21st century, the Capital District has emerged as a major anchor of Tech Valley, the moniker describing the technologically-focused region of eastern New York State. The Capital District was first settled by the Dutch in the early 17th century and came under English control in 1664. Albany has been the permanent capital of the state of New York since 1797. The Capital District is notable for many historical events that predate the independence of the United States, including the Albany Plan of Union and The Battles of Saratoga. Read more...
is the capital city
of the U.S. state
of New York
, the seat
of Albany County
, and the central city
of New York's Capital District
. At roughly 150 miles (240 km) north of New York City
, Albany sits on the west bank of the Hudson River
, approximately 10 miles (16 km) south of its confluence with the Mohawk River
. The city had an estimated population of 93,539 in 2008 and the population of the greater metropolitan area was estimated at 857,592 in 2009. Albany is the oldest continuously chartered city in the United States
. The city was founded by the Dutch
in 1614, but taken over by the English
in 1664, at which time it received its current name in honor of the Duke of Albany
. Albany was chartered
as a city in 1686 and was one of the top ten most populous cities in the nation until 1860; it became the state capital
in 1797. The city played an important role in advancements in transportation during the 19th century. Albany saw the longest tenure of any US city mayor with Erastus Corning 2nd
. The city's current economy is based mainly in higher education, government, health care, and an emerging high-tech sector. Albany is a two-time winner of the All-America City Award
(1991 and 2009).
Things you can do
There are lots of things to do! Consider helping out in one of the following areas:
- Recruit more members!
- Tag all articles relating to New York's Capital District with the project template.
- Assess all tagged articles to determine quality and importance relating to this project.
- Offer unofficial peer review services as a step to help editors create the best articles possible. This will be available to articles rated C-Class or below. For higher class articles, please see Wikipedia's peer review department.
- All reviews are expected to be critical, but fair.
- Note the existence of Category:New York Capital District at Commons. Add to its category tree to offer users possible sources of media to use in articles.