Pooveli (transl. Floral Fence) is a 1998 Indian Tamil-language film directed by Selva. An unofficial remake (with Indian twist) of A Walk in the Clouds (1995), the film stars Karthik, Abbas, Kausalya and Heera Rajgopal in the lead roles. The film's score and soundtrack are composed by Bharadwaj while lyrics by Vairamuthu.
|Produced by||Rajam Balachander|
|Written by||Murthy Ramesh|
Nagulan Ponnusamy (dialogues)
|Cinematography||R. Raghunatha Reddy|
|Edited by||Suresh Urs|
The movie opens with the main characters revealing their thoughts on love. Maha (Kausalya) feels one must love before the wedding while Shalini (Heera) feels love is for after the wedding. Radha Ravi is totally opposed to love and feels it is a way in which children cheat their parents while Murali (Karthik) is totally for it.
Murali follows Shalini around expressing his love for her. But when she insults his love, he promises he wouldn't trouble her again and that one day, she would understand him and come to him. He runs into Maha, his classmate in school, who has recently lost her lover in an accident. To force her father to accept her love, she had already told him that she was married. Circumstances force her uncle to think Murali is her husband and they go back to her house in the village.
Their plan is for Murali to earn the displeasure of the members of her household so that he can leave, but his plans backfire and earn him their love and affection. As he continues living there, he starts to like having a family around and also falls in love with Maha. The only black sheep in their family is Anandaraj, who keeps troubling them.
Maha's grandmother (Manorama), finds out the arrangement between her and Murali, but since she likes Murali, plays a trick to get them both married.
Shalini, who has meanwhile developed feelings for Murali, shows up at the village before the wedding creating doubts in the minds of the other. This leads to some confusion and problems which are cleared in the climax.
- Karthik as Murali
- Abbas as Arun
- Kausalya as Mahalakshmi (a) Maha
- Heera as Shalini
- Radha Ravi as Maha's Father as Chidambaram Pillai
- Manorama as Maha's grandmother
- Nizhalgal Ravi as Chidambaram's Brother
- Charle as Chidambaram Brother's Brother-in-law
- Anandaraj as Maha's aunty Husband
- Rajasekaran as Arun's Father
|Soundtrack album by|
- "Itharku Peyar" – Hariharan, Sujatha
- "Oru Poo Ezhuthum Kavithai" – P. Unnikrishnan, K. S. Chithra
- "Kathai Solla" – Karthik, Nizhalgal Ravi, Charle, Manorama
- "O Shalini" – S. P. Balasubrahmanyam
- "Muthu Muthu" – Pushpavanam Kuppusamy, Swarnalatha
- "Vaazhkai" – Srinivas
- "Itharku Peyar" – Hariharan
- "Nathiyil Saaya" – Bharadwaj, Reshma
- "Kadhai Solla" – Bharadwaj
- "Pooveli" – Instrumental