This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Poori (Sinhala: පූරි) is a 2018 Sri Lankan television series, directed by Ranil Kulasinghe and produced by Janaka Sampath Telemax Productions. The character Poori is portrayed by Menaka Peiris. The teledrama was telecasted on the Independent Television Network (ITN) with 75 episodes--airing on Saturday and Sunday at 8:30 p.m.
|Directed by||Ranil Kulasinghe|
|Starring||Menaka Peiris, Damitha Abeyratne, Michelle Dilhara ,Niroshan Wijesinghe, Jagath Manuwarna|
|Country of origin||Sri Lanka|
|No. of episodes||75 (final)|
|Running time||20 minutes per episode (80 episodes)|
|Original network||Independent Television Network|
This teledrama shows the story of Poori, who lives in a slum village with her bedridden father and Araliya, who lives in a bungalow. Maata often visits Poori and treats her as his sister. Maali is a stubborn but kind-hearted girl who lives in the same village and Pubba is her boyfriend. Together, Maali and Pubba villagers when they are in trouble. Pubba works in Madawa's garage, and Maali often visits him. Anas and Kapila are the friends of Pubba who also work in the garage.
Araliya commits suicide because her sister-in-law continuously fights for a dowry. When Sapumal comes to know that his only sister committed suicide, he gets excited and wonders what to tell his father, finally deciding to bury her secretly. Araliya's father visits the bungalow, but is unaware of his daughter's death. The others in the bungalow pretend that Araliya is just ill. Aari is one of the only rich people in the village and marries Suddi.
Later, Pubba repeatedly comes to meet Maali with his friends. After a few days, Anas tries to get Maali's attention, but at the same time is scared to reach her. Meanwhile, Poori gets caught by the police for tapping Arrack secretly. In order to escape them, she accidentally gets into the vehicle of Sapumal and gradually falls asleep. Without knowing that Poori was in his car, Sapumal drives the vehicle to the bungalow. Punchi Nona, who always comes to get Sapumal's bag, sees Poori and screams. Poori was then taken to the bungalow and was dressed as Araliya. Poori, not knowing anything, helplessly does what they say. Everyone in the bungalow seems happy after seeing Poori and mistaking her as Araliya, but Poori still seems unhappy.
Meanwhile Madawa gets shocked by the disappearance of Poori. Madawa, along with Maali, Pubba, Anas and Kapila search for Poori in the village but fail. Many in the village assume that Poori must have eloped with a rich guy, but Madawa believes that Poori might return. He lives several days with this belief and for her return.
After a few months, Aari ends up joining politics, followed by Madawa. Meanwhile Pubba proposes to Maali, but Maali rejects him every time he proposes. Pubba gets upset and remains eager to know the reason behind her rejection. Maali, who is known to the audience as a cool, stubborn person, gets emotional for the first time. It was a new expression to Pubba as he had never seen her that emotional. She then reveals her reason for not marrying Pubba.
- Menaka Peiris - as Poori/Araliya
- Damitha Abeyratne - as Punchi Nona
- Niroshan Wijesinghe - as Sapumal
- Jagath Manuwarna - as Madawa
- Michelle Dilhara - as Maali
- Sangeeth Prabhu - as Pubba
- Amarasiri Kalansuriya - as Poori's father
- Lucien Bulathsinhala - as Maata Siiya
- Cletus Mendis - as Wije Hamu
- Janaka Kumbukage - as Aari
- Shalika Edirisinghe - as Kamani
- Nadeesha Alahapperuma - as Suddi
- Naveen Saumya - as Maata
- Sithija Jayasekara - as Anas
- Damith Waragoda - as Kapila
- "Mesmerising Michelle". Sunday Observer (Sri Lanka). 16 Dec 2018. Retrieved 16 Dec 2018.
- "An inspiring 'act'!". Daily News. 10 Jan 2019. Retrieved 10 Jan 2019.
- "I like to become a Film Actress". Silumina. 6 Jan 2018. Retrieved 6 Jan 2018.
- "Menaka's latest teledrama Poor". starfriends. 13 Jan 2018. Retrieved 13 Jan 2018.
- "Poori Teledrama On-Location". Saaravita. 16 April 2017. Retrieved 16 April 2018.