Pony Express (TV series)
Pony Express is an American western television series about the adventures of an agent in the 1860s of the Central Overland Express Company, better known as the Pony Express. The half-hour program starring Grant Sullivan was created by California National Productions. Pony Express ran for thirty-five episodes in syndication from the fall of 1959 until May 1960.
|Written by||Paul King|
John Meredyth Lucas
|Directed by||Frank McDonald|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||35|
|Running time||25 mins.|
|Production company(s)||California National Productions|
|Distributor||NBC Television Films|
|Original release||1959 –|
May 31, 1960
The series featured two recurring roles: Grant Sullivan as Brett Clark, a roving investigator for the company, and Don Dorrell as Donovan, a young Pony Express rider. The majority of the weekly episodes involved Clark and Donovan solving various Pony Express mysteries.
Pony Express was filmed at Iverson Movie Ranch in Chatsworth in Los Angeles County, California. It was one of several western-themed television shows produced by CNP, including Boots and Saddles (1957–1958) and Union Pacific (1959–1960) and Frontier (1955-1956). CNP created the series for the 100th anniversary of the actual Pony Express.
The Pony Express pilot was shot in February 1957 with James Best in the lead. This version did not sell (although Best was included in a TV Guide photo feature on upcoming TV westerns in June of that year) but was later aired, slightly re-edited, as an episode of the syndicated series.
- Pony Express, film
- Jackson, Ronald; Abbot, Doug (April 23, 2008). 50 Years of The Television Western. AuthorHouse. p. 181. ISBN 978-1434359254.
- "Pony Express (1959)". Internet Movie Data Base. Retrieved February 23, 2009.
- Marill, Alvin H. (2011). Television Westerns: Six Decades of Sagebrush Sheriffs, Scalawags and Sidewinders. Scarecrow Press. p. 66. ISBN 978-0-8108-8132-7.
- "Pony Express". Classic TV Archives. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Erikson, Hal (November 5, 2001). Syndicated Television: The First Forty Years 1947-1987. McFarland & Company. p. 181. ISBN 978-0786411986.
|This article about a television show originating in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|