Pontiac station (Illinois)
Pontiac is an Amtrak train station in Pontiac, Livingston County, Illinois, United States. Pontiac station is served by the Illinois-focused Lincoln Service between Chicago Union Station and the Gateway Transportation Center in St. Louis, Missouri and the long-distance Texas Eagle between Chicago and Los Angeles Union Station. Until April 2007, Pontiac was also served by the Ann Rutledge, a train from Chicago to Kansas City Union Station. Pontiac station boasts a single, low-level side platform for trains, along with a station depot was passengers. The station also has a wheelchair lift and handicap-accessibility per the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The new Pontiac station in June 2017
|Location||711 West Water Street|
Pontiac, IL 61764
|Owned by||IDOT and Amtrak|
|Line(s)||Union Pacific Railroad|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Station code||Amtrak code: PON|
–June 5, 2017
|June 1974||Station agent eliminated|
Pontiac originated as a stop on the Chicago and Alton Railroad. A station depot, built in 1901, formerly served as the Amtrak station until a new one was constructed to the south. A new station opened on June 5, 2017 at a cost of $2.65 million.
An older depot, located one block north of the new station, was retired from service and became a pizza restaurant.
- Chicago and Alton Railway (September 1901). Annual Report of the Chicago & Alton Railway Company. Chicago, Illinois: Chicago and Alton Railway Company. p. 25. Retrieved January 8, 2020.
- Barlow, Kevin (June 6, 2017). "Pontiac Station Newest Addition to Rail Project". The Pantagraph. Bloomington, Illinois. pp. A1–A2. Retrieved January 8, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Pontiac I-C Station is Closed". The Streator Times-Press. June 20, 1974. p. 8. Retrieved January 8, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2018, State of Illinois" (PDF). Amtrak. June 2019. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- Shelley, Tim (June 5, 2017). "New Pontiac train station opens". WEEK-TV. Archived from the original on 2017-08-05. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- Media related to Pontiac, Illinois (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Pontiac Amtrak station information
- Pontiac, IL – Amtrak
- Pontiac Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Pontiac Station (PON) Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This Illinois train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|