Poland is set to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest 2023 in Liverpool, United Kingdom. The Polish broadcaster Telewizja Polska (TVP) will organise the national final Tu bije serce Europy! Wybieramy hit na Eurowizję in order to select the Polish entry.
|Eurovision Song Contest 2023|
|Selection process||Tu bije serce Europy! Wybieramy hit na Eurowizję|
|Selection date(s)||26 February 2023|
|Poland in the Eurovision Song Contest|
Prior to the 2023 contest, Poland had participated in the Eurovision Song Contest twenty-four times since its first entry in 1994. Poland's highest placement in the contest, to this point, has been second place, which the nation achieved with its debut entry in 1994 with the song "To nie ja!" performed by Edyta Górniak. Poland has only reached the top ten on two other occasions, when Ich Troje performing the song "Keine Grenzen – Żadnych granic" finished seventh in 2003, and when Michał Szpak performing the song "Color of Your Life" finished eighth in 2016. Between 2005 and 2011, Poland failed to qualify from the semi-final round six out of seven years with only their 2008 entry, "For Life" performed by Isis Gee, managing to take the nation to the final during that period. After once again failing to qualify to the final in 2011, the country withdrew from the contest throughout 2013. Since returning to the contest in 2014, Poland managed to qualify to the final each year before failing to qualify to the final between 2018 and 2021. In 2022, Ochman brought Poland back to the final, eventually finishing 12th with his song "River".
The Polish national broadcaster, Telewizja Polska (TVP), broadcasts the event within Poland and organises the selection process for the nation's entry. The broadcaster opted to select the Polish entry for the 2022 contest during a national selection show titled Tu bije serce Europy! Wybieramy hit na Eurowizję, a process that will be continued for their 2023 entry.
Tu bije serce Europy! Wybieramy hit na EurowizjęEdit
Tu bije serce Europy! Wybieramy hit na Eurowizję ("The heart of Europe beats here! We choose the hit for Eurovision") will be the national final organised by TVP in order to select the Polish entry for the Eurovision Song Contest 2023. The show will be held on 26 February 2023.
Ten entries are set to compete in the national final where the winner will be determined over two rounds of voting: the first round will select the top three songs and the second round (superfinal) will select the winner. Results during both rounds will be determined by a 50/50 combination of votes from a five-member professional jury and a public vote. Each juror will distribute each entry between 1 to 10 points in the first round, and 1 to 3 points in the second round. The sum of all jury scores will be converted into percentages, while viewers were able to cast a single vote per phone number via SMS. An average of the percentages of the jury and televotes for the songs will be presented during both rounds of the voting. In the event of a tie, the tie will be decided in favour of the entry that received the highest score from the jury.
TVP opened a submission period for interested artists and songwriters to submit their entries between 19 September 2022 and 10 February 2023. TVP will select 10 finalists: at least 9 finalists will come from the submitted entries, while TVP reserves the right to select the final finalist (a wildcard) from outside of the submissions. The chosen competing entries will be announced on 15 February 2023.
The final will take place on 26 February 2023. In the first round of voting, the top three entries will qualify for the second round based on the 50/50 combination of votes from a five-member jury and a public vote. In the second round, the public and jury vote will select the winner.
- Jiandani, Sanjay (Sergio) (19 September 2022). "Poland: TVP confirms participation at Eurovision 2023". ESCToday. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "Poland Country Profile". EBU. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Adams, William Lee (19 February 2022). "Poland: Ochman wins "Tu bije serce Europy!" with "River"". wiwibloggs. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- S.A, Telewizja Polska. "Eurowizja 2023. Kandydaci mogą zgłaszać swoje muzyczne propozycje" [Eurovision 2023. Candidates can now send in their musical proposals]. rozrywka.tvp.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "Eurowizja 2023: TVP ogłasza preselekcje! Kiedy finał?" [Eurovision 2023: TVP announces preselections! When is the final?]. Eurowizja.org (in Polish). OGAE Polska. 19 September 2022. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- "KRAJOWE PRESELEKCJE ESC 2023 - REGULAMIN POPRAWIONY.pdf". Google Docs. Retrieved 26 October 2022.
- S.A, Telewizja Polska. "Eurowizja 2023 – termin nadsyłania zgłoszeń przedłużony do 10 lutego". eurowizja.tvp.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 12 January 2023.
- Washak, James (12 January 2023). "🇵🇱 Poland: TVP Extends Song Submission Deadline to February 10". Eurovoix. Retrieved 12 January 2023.