Poggio Renatico (Poggese: Al Puz; Ferrarese: Al Pògio) is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Ferrara in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna, located about 30 kilometres (19 mi) northeast of Bologna and about 12 kilometres (7 mi) southwest of Ferrara.
|Comune di Poggio Renatico|
|Province||Province of Ferrara (FE)|
|Frazioni||Chiesa Nuova, Coronella, Gallo, Madonna Boschi|
|• Mayor||Daniele Garuti|
|• Total||80.23 km2 (30.98 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
(31 August 2016)
|• Density||120/km2 (320/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
During the Middle Ages, the region of Poggio Renatico was fortified by the rulers of Bologna through a discontinuous line of towers and castles that provided exclusive control of fishing and river trade and protection against the expansionist intentions of neighboring Ferrara.
About 5 kilometres (3 mi) outside Poggio Renatico is one of the Italian Air Force's biggest radar stations, which was formerly used to monitor air traffic over Yugoslavia and southern Warsaw Pact countries.
In 2010, NATO controlled its air forces in southern Europe from the Poggio Renatico radar base, and in March 2010 it provided military control over the airspace between the Danube delta and the Atlantic Ocean.
Poggio Renatico was hit by the 2012 Emilia earthquakes which caused the Lambertini Castle clock tower to collapse. The earthquake also damaged the dome and bell tower of the Abbey Church of St. Michael the Archangel. On 4 June 2012 (several weeks after the earthquake) the steeple of the church was demolished with explosives.
- Lambertini Castle
- Abbey of St. Michael the Archangel
- The Abbey of St. Michael the Archangel
- Tower of the Uccellino, also called the Usolino
- The Tower of the Cocenno
- The Tower of the Poggio, also called that of the Ortolano or Fornasini
- The Tower of the Verga, also called that of the Vedrega
- The Clock Tower of Poggio Renatico
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
|This article on a location in Emilia–Romagna is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|