Pocari Sweat (ポカリスエット Pokari Suetto) is a Japanese sports drink, manufactured by Otsuka Pharmaceutical. It was launched in 1980, and is now also available in East Asia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Australia.
|Product type||Sports drink|
|Produced by||Otsuka Pharmaceutical|
|Markets||East Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East|
Pocari Sweat is a mild-tasting, relatively light, non-carbonated sweet beverage and is advertised as an "ion supply drink". It has a mild grapefruit flavor with little aftertaste. Ingredients listed are water, sugar, citric acid, trisodium citrate, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium lactate, magnesium carbonate, and flavoring. It is sold in aluminium cans, PET bottles, and as a powder for mixing with water. An artificially sweetened version with reduced sugar called Pocari Sweat Ion Water (ポカリスエット イオンウォーター Pokari Suetto Ion Wōtā) is also sold.
The reference to sweat in the name of the beverage might have a somewhat off-putting or mildly humorous connotation for some native English speakers. However, the name was chosen by the manufacturers originally for the purpose of marketing the product as a sports drink in Japan, where English words are used differently. It was largely derived from the notion of what it is intended to supply to the drinker: all of the nutrients and electrolytes lost when sweating. The first part of the name, Pocari, does not have any meaning; the word was coined for its light, bright sound.
Lunar Dream Capsule projectEdit
On 15 May 2014, Pocari Sweat started a project to send a "dream capsule" to the Moon. The capsule will have the same shape as a Pocari Sweat can and will be filled with Pocari Sweat powder. Once it arrives, Pocari Sweat will be the first commercial product advertised on the Moon. Originally scheduled to launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in October 2015, it is currently booked on a Astrobotic Technology lander which will launch in 2021.
- Aquarius (a similar beverage manufactured by The Coca-Cola Company)
- Oronamin C Drink
- Foreign branding
- Cloud Nine (disambiguation) (a term which has some similar connotations in English to Pocari in Japanese, except that the idea in English is more of joy than of relief or calmness)
- Super Supau
- "Welcome to Pocari Sweat Website". Pocarisweat.com.ph. Archived from the original on 2012-11-22. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- "価格.com - 大塚製薬 ポカリスエット イオンウォーター レビュー評価・評判" (in Japanese). Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- Global Business Languages, pp.18-19 Tracy L. Melin, Nina M. Ray, 2005
- "Maeda-Use/Misuse of Loan-words". iteslj.org.
- Herbig, Paul A. (1998). Handbook of cross-cultural marketing. Binghamton, NY: International Business Press. p. 3. ISBN 0-7890-0154-3.
- "Pocari Sweat Basic Q&A - Q&A [ Pocari Sweat ]". Pocarisweat.info. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- Pocari Sweat is putting the first ever ad on the lunar surface, techinasia.com
- Sports Drink Set for Moon Mission; But, Why?, devicemag.com