Please Remember Me
"Please Remember Me" is a song co-written by American country music artists Rodney Crowell and Will Jennings. Originally recorded by Crowell for his 1995 album Jewel of the South, his version was released as its lead (and only) single and peaked at number 69 on the Billboard country chart in early June.
|"Please Remember Me"|
|Single by Rodney Crowell|
|from the album Jewel of the South|
|Rodney Crowell singles chronology|
Tim McGraw versionEdit
|"Please Remember Me"|
|Single by Tim McGraw|
|from the album A Place in the Sun|
|B-side||For a Little While|
|Released||March 22, 1999|
|Tim McGraw singles chronology|
Four years after the release of his own version, Crowell selected several songs which he recommended to record producer Byron Gallimore. Eventually, "Please Remember Me" made its way to Tim McGraw, who recorded it for his 1999 album A Place in the Sun. Released that year as the first single from that album, McGraw's rendition reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts, a position that it held for five weeks. The song was also McGraw's biggest solo hit on the Billboard Hot 100, where it peaked at number 10. McGraw's rendition features Patty Loveless on harmony vocals.
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, calling it a "lush and lovely ballad." She goes on to say that he is "surprisingly effective" on this pop-side release as he is usually best with traditional material. She finishes the review by saying that McGraw "seems to a newfound vocal maturity." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an A grade, calling it "a lush and gorgeous ballad that is elevated by a Patty Loveless harmony vocal." He goes on to say that McGraw's "pleading performance gives the song its urgency, and the pop-flavored production, complete with strings, harkens back to the glory days of the Nashville sound." The song ranks 96th on the RIAA 365 songs of the century list
UK Promo CD
- Please Remember Me 3:39
- A Please Remember Me 4:29
- B For A Little While 3:33
- Please Remember Me 4:29
- For A Little While 3:33
"Please Remember Me" debuted at number 51 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of March 20, 1999. It reached number one and remained there for five consecutive weeks until it was knocked off by "Write This Down" by George Strait.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
End of year chartsEdit
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||35|
|US Billboard Hot 100||56|
|US Country Songs (Billboard||5|
The Swedish country music-inspired dansband Lasse Stefanz recorded a Swedish version called "Tänk På Mig Ibland" on their 1996 album Dig Ska Jag Älskar.
- Shuster, Fred (1999-06-06). "For McGraw, it starts with 1000s of songs". The (Los Angeles) Daily News. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- "Rodney Crowell Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. pp. 272–273. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Billboard, March 27, 1999
- "Retro Single Review: Tim McGraw, "Please Remember Me"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 8129." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. May 10, 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Tim McGraw Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Tim McGraw Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1999". RPM. December 13, 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1999". Longboredsurfer.com. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "Best of 1999: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1999. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- "Scotty McCreery - American Idol 11 Exit Song "Please Remember Me" (Snip)". Mjsbigblog.com. 2012-03-06. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "Please Remember Me (The Voice Performance) - Single by Danielle Bradbery on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2015-09-18.