Pleasant Valley High School (California)
|Pleasant Valley High School|
|1475 East Avenue
Chico, California 95926
|School district||Chico Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Navy blue and white|
|Athletics||Boys' tennis, girls' tennis, football, swimming, boys' basketball, girls' basketball, field hockey, softball, boys' soccer, girls' soccer, wrestling, cross country, golf, boys' volleyball, girls' volleyball, skiing, snowboarding, baseball, and track|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Website||Pleasant Valley High School|
Since 1970, Pleasant Valley has competed with cross-town rival Chico Senior High School at the annual Almond Bowl in junior varsity and varsity football. The Almond Bowl series is currently tied at 23-23-1. The freshman game is referred to as the Peanut Bowl.
Pleasant Valley High is the only California high school north of the Rosewood area to offer the IB Diploma Programme. Pursuant to the Diploma Programme, it offers IB exams in English, Chemistry, Biology, History, French, Spanish, Japanese, Mathematics, and Theater Arts. The school's current IB coordinator is teacher Christine Callas.
Pleasant Valley High also offers a number of AP classes, including AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP World History, AP US History, AP Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Statistics, AP Spanish, and AP French. The school's current AP coordinator is Vice Principal Deanna Holen.
Along with several other high schools in the Chico Unified School District and throughout Butte County, Pleasant Valley offers a program known as College Connection, which allows seniors to spend their senior year taking classes at the local community college, Butte College, instead of at the high school itself.
Pleasant Valley offers a variety of clubs and other extracurricular activities, including a school newspaper known as The Saga, California Scholarship Federation, Rotary Interact, Mock Trial team, Key Club, TOMS Club, Gay-Straight Alliance, and Anime Club.
- Pat Clements - Major League Baseball player, 1980 graduate
- Brian Jones - Arena Football League player
- Evan MacLane - Major League Baseball player
- Michelle Manhart (Hubbard) - Playboy supermodel; TV and film actress; 1994 graduate
- Aaron Rodgers - National Football League player, 2002 graduate
- Jordan Rodgers - National Football League player; The Bachelorette contestant; 2007 graduate
- Geoff Swaim - National Football League player, 2011 graduate
- School Level Enrollment Reports - DataQuest (CA Dept of Education)
- "Dave Davies column: Looking for memories of Almond Bowl". Chico Enterprise-Record. September 30, 2007. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- WEINTRAUB-Sports, IRA (Oct 16, 2005). "Rodgers returns to watch Almond Bowl". Chico Enterprise-Record. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- Ponarul, Nellie (October 19, 2009). "The tradition plays on between rivals". Archived from the original on November 27, 2013.
- "Participating IB Schools - California, Nevada". California Association of IB World Schools. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- College Connection - School and College Relations - Butte College
- TOMS Campus Clubs