This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Playism is a digital distribution platform for PC games operated by Active Gaming Media, which was launched in May 2011. It focuses on attracting independent "indie" developers to its platform by offering services like localization, debugging, marketing and publishing for indie developers interested in releasing their games to foreign markets.
|Industry||Video game industry|
Rather than employing a separate client like Steam, users download purchased games directly from the Playism website. They have also started to distribute on a variety of platforms including Steam, GOG, Gamefly, PlayStation Store, Google Play and iOS. They have also announced that they are planning to bring some titles to PlayStation.
In April 2013, Playism began a project with HAL College of Technology & Design in both Osaka and Nagoya. The project involves students creating games in four-person teams over a period of several months. The games would then be judged by Playism staff, Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya (Cave Story), Smoking Wolf (One Way Heroics), and members of Nigoro (La-Mulana). The highest-rated games were then localized by Playism, and released on the Playism store page for purchase. Playism was closely involved in the administration of the indie-based game event BitSummit in March 2013, helping both with translation and interpretation as well as with logistics. In September 2013, Playism collaborated with Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia on an event called Indie Stream. Originally planned by indie developers Nigoro and Nyamyam, Indie Stream was designed to bring indie developers from both Japan and abroad together to meet and share information. It was announced at Indie Stream that Playism would be assisting indie developers in publishing their games on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in Japan.
- 2064: Read Only Memories
- Assault Android Cactus
- Blocks That Matter
- Cities in Motion
- D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
- Europa Universalis III
- Futuridium EP Deluxe
- Half-Minute Hero
- I Am Bread
- Kero Blaster
- Mini Metro
- Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
- They Bleed Pixels
- VA-11 HALL-A
- Victor Vran
- Yume Nikki
- "What is Playism". Playism. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
PLAYISM, part of Active Gaming Media Inc., focuses on the localization and distribution of video games.
- Halestorm, Bradly (December 10, 2014). "Playism to Release Batch of Japanese Indie Titles on Vita and PS4". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Miller, Ewan (September 9, 2013). "Sony Japan hosting "Indie Stream" at TGS with Playism with "Exciting Announcements"". VG247. Gamer Network. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Priestman, Chris (April 22, 2015). "Playism Confirms The Japanese Games It's Bringing To PS4, PS Vita This Year". Siliconera. Curse LLC. Retrieved April 28, 2019.