Players Choice Awards
|Players Choice Awards|
|Given for||Major Leaguers recognize the on-field and off-field achievements of their peers through the Players Trust’s Players Choice Awards program.|
|Location||Dallas, Texas (2018)|
|Presented by||Major League Baseball Players Association|
The Players Choice Awards are given following a secret ballot by players. Four awards go to a player in each league, while two awards each go to one player in all of Major League Baseball. Prize money is donated to a charity of each winner's choice.
The first Players Choice Awards were given in 1992, to the Comeback Player in each of the two major leagues. There were no other awards that year. In 1993, the Comeback Player awards were replaced by an Outstanding Player award for each league. Then, in 1994, two more categories were added: Outstanding Pitcher (in each league) and Outstanding Rookie (in each league).
In 1997, the dual Comeback Player awards were again named, along with the first-ever single award — the Man of the Year — for one player in all of Major League Baseball. In 1998, a second non-dual award was added, Player of the Year. In addition, the Man of the Year award was renamed in honor of Marvin Miller, former executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association. In 1999, a special Player of the Decade award was given.
In 2015, a third non-dual award was created. The "Always Game" award is given to the player who – game in and game out – constantly exhibits positive energy, grit, tenacity, hustle, perseverance, relentlessness and sportsmanship; all for the benefit of his teammates and fans.
Awards for one player in all of Major League BaseballEdit
Player of the YearEdit
This award was first given in 1998.
|1998||Mark McGwire||St. Louis Cardinals|
|1999||Pedro Martínez||Boston Red Sox|
|2000||Carlos Delgado||Toronto Blue Jays|
|2001||Barry Bonds (1)||San Francisco Giants|
|2002||Alex Rodriguez (1)||Texas Rangers|
|2003||Albert Pujols (1)||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2004||Barry Bonds (2)||San Francisco Giants|
|2005||Andruw Jones||Atlanta Braves|
|2006||Ryan Howard||Philadelphia Phillies|
|2007||Alex Rodriguez (2)||New York Yankees|
|2008||Albert Pujols (2)||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2009||Albert Pujols (3)||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2010||Carlos González||Colorado Rockies|
|2011||Justin Verlander||Detroit Tigers|
|2012||Miguel Cabrera||Detroit Tigers|
|2013||Miguel Cabrera (2)||Detroit Tigers|
|2014||Clayton Kershaw||Los Angeles Dodgers|
|2015||Josh Donaldson||Toronto Blue Jays|
|2016||José Altuve||Houston Astros|
|2017||José Altuve (2)||Houston Astros|
|2018||J.D. Martinez||Boston Red Sox|
The Marvin Miller Man of the Year AwardEdit
This award is given to "the player in either league whose on-field performance and contributions to his community inspire others to higher levels of achievement." First given in 1997 (as the "Man of the Year" Award), it was renamed in 1998 in honor of Marvin Miller, former executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association.
|1997||Mark McGwire||Oakland Athletics|
|1998||Paul Molitor||Minnesota Twins|
|1999||Sammy Sosa||Chicago Cubs|
|2000||Eric Davis||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2001||Jim Thome (1)||Cleveland Indians|
|2002||John Smoltz (1)||Atlanta Braves|
|2003||John Smoltz (2)||Atlanta Braves|
|2004||Jim Thome (2)||Philadelphia Phillies|
|2005||Mike Sweeney||Kansas City Royals|
|2006||Albert Pujols||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2007||Torii Hunter||Minnesota Twins|
|2008||Michael Young (1)||Texas Rangers|
|2009||Curtis Granderson (1)||Detroit Tigers|
|2010||Brandon Inge||Detroit Tigers|
|2011||Michael Young (2)||Texas Rangers|
|2012||Chipper Jones||Atlanta Braves|
|2013||Mariano Rivera||New York Yankees|
|2014||Clayton Kershaw||Los Angeles Dodgers|
|2015||Adam Jones||Baltimore Orioles|
|2016||Curtis Granderson (2)||New York Mets|
|2017||Anthony Rizzo||Chicago Cubs|
|2018||Curtis Granderson (3)||Toronto Blue Jays & Milwaukee Brewers|
Majestic Athletic Always Game AwardEdit
This award was first given in 2015. The award was not included in the list of 2018 winners.
|2015||José Altuve||Houston Astros|
|2016||José Altuve (2)||Houston Astros|
|2017||Nolan Arenado||Colorado Rockies|
Awards for a player in each leagueEdit
First awarded in 1993.
First awarded in 1994.
First awarded in 1994.
In 1992, this was the first ever Players Choice Award. There were no other awards that year. The Comeback Player award was not given from 1993 to 1996, although awards were given in other categories. In 1997, it was again awarded and has been ever since.
Award for Player of the DecadeEdit
- See also: Baseball Prospectus Internet Baseball Awards MVP of the Decade (1999) and The Sporting News Player of the Decade (1999)
In 1999, a special Player of the Decade award was given to Ken Griffey, Jr..
- Baseball America Major League Player of the Year (in MLB; for all positions)
- Best Major League Baseball Player ESPY Award (in MLB; for all positions)
- Sporting News Player of the Year Award (in MLB; for all positions) (Sporting News also has a Pitcher of the Year award for each league)
- The Sporting News Most Valuable Player Award (in each league) (discontinued in 1946)
- Baseball Digest Player of the Year (in MLB; for position players) (from 1969 to 1993, included all positions; in 1994, a separate Pitcher of the Year award was added)
- "Esurance MLB Awards" Best Major Leaguer (in MLB; for all positions) (there are also awards for Best Hitter and Best Pitcher)
- Kenesaw Mountain Landis Most Valuable Player Award (in each league; for all positions) (MLB also has the Cy Young Award for a pitcher in each league)
- Triple Crown (baseball)
- MLB All-Century Team (1999)
- MLB All-Time Team (1997; Baseball Writers' Association of America)
- Baseball awards
- List of MLB awards
- For MLB's listing of awards and winners, go to MLB's awards page. Under "All-time winners," click on the drop-down menu (which lists all of MLB's current and discontinued awards). When you click on each award, you then see all of that award's winners. MLB Advanced Media, LP. Retrieved 2016-11-15.
- "Major League Baseball Players Association: Programs". Mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Ken Mandel / MLB.com. "Howard dual Players Choice winner | phillies.com: News". Mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-03-18.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Jack O'Connell / MLB.com. "Two Players Choice Awards for Howard | MLB.com: News". MLB.com. Retrieved 2010-03-18.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Miller, Doug (November 9, 2015). "Donaldson, Harper top Players Choice field: Jones is Marvin Miller Man of the Year; Greinke, Keuchel named Outstanding Pitchers". MLB.com. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- Matthew Leach. "Pujols, Carpenter draw peers' kudos | cardinals.com". Mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Graham, Dennis (November 30, 2018). "Curtis Granderson, J.D. Martinez Win Top Honors in 2018 Players Choice Awards". playerstrust.org. Retrieved November 30, 2018.
- "Players Choice Awards History". MLB.com. Major League Baseball Players Association. Retrieved 2016-10-28.