Plaquemine High School
Plaquemine Senior High School is a coeducational public high school located at 59595 Belleview Drive in unincorporated Iberville Parish, Louisiana, United States, south of the City of Plaquemine. It schools grades seven to twelve and is administered by the Iberville Parish School Board.
|Plaquemine High School|
59595 Belleview Drive
|Type||Public coeducational secondary|
|Motto||Pride is a personal commitment|
|Color(s)||Green, Black and White|
|Rival||Brusly Panthers|
Port Allen Pelicans
Plaquemine High School
1911 Building at 58060 Plaquemine Street
|Location||58060 Plaquemine Street, Plaquemine, Louisiana|
|Area||1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Built by||Caldwell Brothers|
|Architect||Stevens and Nelson Company|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival, Beaux Arts|
|NRHP reference #||92000041|
|Added to NRHP||February 13, 1992|
Plaquemine High school was originally located at 58060 Plaquemine Street. The building, erected in 1911 in Classical Revival style, hosted the school until a new facility was built in 1931, and is currently housing the Iberville Parish Optional Education Center.
The 1931 building was located at 24130 Ferdinand Street and is currently housing the City of Plaquemine Activity Center (COPAC). In 1974 the school has been located at its current location.
After North Iberville High School in Rosedale closed in 2009 students were reassigned to Plaquemine High. Rosedale parents criticized the rezoned to Plaquemine High because of the long distances involved.
The students at Plaquemine High School are required to take seven classes per day, with an optional vo-tech (which offers shop, drafting and home economics courses) or a college-bound curriculum which includes Calculus, Physics and Spanish as a foreign language.
The school mascot is the Green Devil, which is the name of their sports teams as well. The school offers football, basketball, baseball, softball, Dance Team "Dazzlers", cheerleading, track, volleyball, band, and wrestling. The school has added a step team as of recent.
The district requires all students to wear school uniforms. Green Polo Shirt and khaki pants or shorts for the 7th & 8th grade. Green Polo Shirt and khaki pants or shorts for the 9th-12th Grade. Seniors are allowed to wear a White Polo Shirt.
- "Plaquemine Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- Jones, Terry L. (2015-08-01). "Parents who waged unsuccessful fight to keep North Iberville High open file application to start new charter school". The Advocate. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. November 2, 2013.
- "Plaquemine High School" (PDF). State of Louisiana's Division of Historic Preservation. Retrieved June 19, 2018. with three photo and two maps
- National Register Staff (November 1991). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Plaquemine High School". National Park Service. Retrieved June 19, 2018. With six photos from 1991.
- City of Plaquemine Activity Center
- "MANDATORY SCHOOL UNIFORMS[dead link]." Iberville Parish School Board.
- The Washington Post, January 16, 1996, "PRO FOOTBALL Teacher of the Year", accessed May 19, 2007 at highbeam.com: "She taught me to be confident and believe in myself," said Mitchell. "Without her, I probably would not be where I am today. She made me a better person."