Piranha Bytes GmbH is a German video game developer based in Essen. Founded in 1997, they are best known for their Gothic and Risen series of role-playing video games. As of May 2019, the studio has 32 employees and is a subsidiary of THQ Nordic.
|Michael Rüve (managing director)|
Number of employees
Piranha Bytes was incorporated as Piranha Bytes Software GmbH in 1997 by Michael "Mike" Hoge, Tom Putzki, Stefan Nyul and Alex Brüggemann, then based in Bochum. In 1999, the company became a wholly owned subsidiary of German publisher Phenomedia. Following a financial scandal, Phenomedia filed for insolvency in May 2002. By September 2002, Piranha Bytes' management had performed a management buyout and transferred Piranha Bytes' trademarks and intellectual property, including the rights to their Gothic series, from Phenomedia into a new entity, Pluto 13 GmbH, which assumed "Piranha Bytes" as its trading name. One of the four original founders remained with the new incorporation. In March 2004, Piranha Bytes was among the founders of G.A.M.E. Bundesverband. On 22 May 2019, THQ Nordic announced to have acquired the studio to undisclosed terms. At the time, the studio had 31 employees in its Essen-based offices. Through the acquisition Piranha Bytes was reincorporated as Piranha Bytes GmbH. By June, the company had 32 employees.
|2002||Gothic II||Microsoft Windows|
|2003||Gothic II: Night of the Raven||Microsoft Windows|
|2006||Gothic 3||Microsoft Windows|
|2009||Risen||Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360|
|2012||Risen 2: Dark Waters||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360|
|2014||Risen 3: Titan Lords||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360|
|2017||ELEX||Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
- Fröhlich, Petra (10 January 2020). "Die größten Spiele-Entwickler in Deutschland 2020" [The largest game developers in Germany 2020]. GamesWirtschaft (in German).
- "Company". Piranha Bytes. Archived from the original on 2 July 2019. Retrieved 20 October 2019.
- Lück, Patrick (29 April 2012). "Piranha Bytes – Die Fantasten aus dem Pott" [Piranha Bytes – The Fantasts from the Pott]. GameStar (in German).
- Klinge, Heiko (8 March 2004). "G.A.M.E. – Bundesverband der Spiele-Entwickler gegründet" [G.A.M.E. – Federal Union of Game Developers Founded]. GameStar (in German).
- Handrahan, Matthew (22 May 2019). "THQ Nordic acquires Gothic developer Piranha Bytes". GamesIndustry.biz. Archived from the original on 29 May 2019. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Wingefors, Lars (27 August 2019). "THQ Nordic Annual Report 2018/19" (PDF). Cision. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 September 2019. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
|This European video game corporation or company-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|