Pine Island Reserve
Pine Island Reserve, a reserve containing a small plantation of pine trees, is located on the Murrumbidgee River where the river flows through the Tuggeranong district of Canberra, in the Australian Capital Territory, Australia. The closest suburb to the reserve and river island is Greenway.
|Pine Island Reserve|
|Location||Tuggeranong, Australian Capital Territory|
|Created||20 May 1980|
Pine Island is usually accessible by land and only becomes an island in time of peak flows in the Murrumbidgee River. The island is named for the Callitris endlicheri, or black cypress pines, that grow locally.
Facilities at the reserve include an area for picnicking, barbeques, potable water, and toilets. On the river, recreational pursuits during the warmer months include swimming, fishing, and kayaking. The area is also known for birdwatching. There is a bushwalking path called the Murrumbidgee Discovery Trail that runs south to Point Hut crossing and north to Kambah Pools through the Bullen Range Nature Reserve.  Dogs are not permitted in the reserve.
- "Pine Island Reserve". Place name search. Government of the Australian Capital Territory. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Osborne, Tegan (8 February 2013). "Gimme five places to make a splash". The Canberra Times. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "ACT Waterwatch: Secondary DSS - Pine Island and Point Hut Crossing". Environment ACT. Government of the Australian Capital Territory. Archived from the original on 30 August 2007. Retrieved 15 June 2008.
- "Discover our Territory". Canberra & District Historical Society. Retrieved 15 June 2008.
- "Murrumbidgee River Corridor". Archived from the original on 1 April 2008. Retrieved 15 June 2008.
- "Get out there guide" (PDF). Murrumbidgee River Corridor. Government of the Australian Capital Territory. July 2009. p. 7. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pine Island Reserve.|
|This article on the geography of the Australian Capital Territory is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|