Pike Township, St. Louis County, Minnesota
Pike Township, Minnesota
The Pike River in Pike River Township
|• Total||33.6 sq mi (87.1 km2)|
|• Land||33.6 sq mi (87.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,470 ft (448 m)|
|• Density||12/sq mi (4.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665294|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 33.6 square miles (87 km2); 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 0.09%, is water.
The Pike River flows through the northeast portion of Pike Township, and the Pike River also flows through the southern portion of the township.
Adjacent townships, cities, and communitiesEdit
The following are adjacent to Pike Township :
- Sandy Township (west)
- The unincorporated community of Angora (northwest)
- Pfeiffer Lake Unorganized Territory (northwest)
- Vermilion Lake Township (north)
- Kugler Township (northeast)
- Embarrass Township (east)
- The unincorporated community of Embarrass (east)
- White Township (southeast)
- Hay Lake Unorganized Territory (south)
- The city of Biwabik (south)
- Wuori Township (southwest)
- The unincorporated community of Florenton (southwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 492 people, 194 households, and 142 families residing in the township. The population density was 14.6 people per square mile (5.7/km²). There were 217 housing units at an average density of 6.5/sq mi (2.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.37% White, 0.81% Native American, 0.41% Asian, 0.41% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.41% of the population.
There were 194 households out of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.5% were married couples living together, 4.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.3% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 34.6% from 45 to 64, and 8.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females, there were 111.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 118.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $41,346, and the median income for a family was $44,500. Males had a median income of $38,333 versus $22,375 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,701. About 5.6% of families and 8.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.7% of those under age 18 and 5.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Pike township, St. Louis County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.