Pierce William Johnson (born May 10, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Hanshin Tigers of Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants. He was drafted by the Cubs in the first round of the 2012 Major League Baseball draft out of Missouri State University.
|Born: May 10, 1991|
|MLB: May 19, 2017, for the Chicago Cubs|
|NPB: March 29, 2019, for the Hanshin Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||5.44|
|NPB statistics |
(through July 8, 2019)
|Earned run average||0.54|
|Career highlights and awards|
Johnson was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 15th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft out of Faith Christian Academy in Arvada, Colorado. He did not sign and attended Missouri State University. He finished his first year at Missouri State with a 6-5 record to go along with a 4.76 ERA in 75.2 IP.
In 2013, he went 11–6 with a 2.74 earned run average and 124 strikeouts in 118 innings pitched. Prior to the 2014 season, he was ranked by Baseball America as the 87th best prospect in baseball. The Cubs added him to their 40-man roster after the 2015 season. Johnson spent 2014 with both the Kane County Cougars and the Tennessee Smokies where he posted a 5-5 record with a 2.54 ERA. Johnson stayed with the Smokies during the 2015 season, where he posted a 6-2 record with a 2.08 ERA, holding batters to a .223 batting average. After his success in Tennessee, Johnson was promoted to the Triple-A Iowa Cubs, where he posted a 4-6 record with a 6.14 ERA.
San Francisco GiantsEdit
- "Cubs start restocking pitchers in Draft". Chicago.cubs.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "Missouri State's Johnson ready for big leagues". Foxsportsmidwest.com. June 5, 2012. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "Former MSU pitcher climbing ranks of Cubs organization". News-leader.com. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- "Top 100 MLB Prospects 2014".
- "Cubs make roster moves for Rule 5 Draft". MLB.com.
- "Pierce Johnson Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com.
- Adams, Steve (September 20, 2017). "Giants Claim Pierce Johnson Off Waivers, Transfer Brandon Belt To 60-Day DL". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved September 20, 2017.
- Adams, Steve (December 7, 2018). "Minor MLB Transactions: 12/7/18". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 7, 2018.