Pielavesi is a municipality of Finland. It is part of the Northern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 4,292 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 1,406.51 square kilometres (543.06 sq mi) of which 253.27 km2 (97.79 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.72 inhabitants per square kilometre (9.6/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Iisalmi, Keitele, Kiuruvesi, Maaninka, Pihtipudas, Pyhäjärvi, and Tervo. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Lepikon Torppa, the birthplace of Urho Kekkonen
Location of Pielavesi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Sami Miettinen (since 2010)|
|• Total||1,406.51 km2 (543.06 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,153.30 km2 (445.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||253.27 km2 (97.79 sq mi)|
|Area rank||65th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||190th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.72/km2 (9.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.5%|
|• 15 to 64||48.9%|
|• 65 or older||37.6%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||21.75%|
- Urho Kekkonen, a late President of Finland who ruled the country over two decades, was born in Pielavesi in a log cabin called Lepikon torppa.
- Lauri Kokkonen, author and playwright
- Ilpo Saastamoinen, musician and composer
- Antti Ruuskanen, javelin thrower and Olympic medalist
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- Pielavesi in Järviwiki Web Service. Finnish Environment Institute. Retrieved 2014-03-17. (in English)
Media related to Pielavesi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Pielavesi – Official website (in Finnish)