Piecing Me Together
Piecing Me Together is a 2017 children's book by Renée Watson. The first person novel tells the story of Jade, an ambitious African American high school student. The book was well reviewed and won several awards.
|February 14, 2017|
|Awards||Coretta Scott King author award, Newbery Honor|
Jade, who is also the book's narrator, is a sixteen-year-old African American student attending a mostly white private school in Portland, Oregon on a scholarship. Heeding her mother's advice, Jade works to take advantage of every opportunity presented to her. Hoping to be afforded the opportunity to study abroad so she can utilize her fluent Spanish Skills, Jade is instead offered the chance to be paired with a mentor in the Women to Women program by her school's guidance counselor. Paired with Maxine, Jade initially has high hopes for this mentorship, hopes which are dashed when Maxine proves unreliable and Jade begins to wonder if its she or Maxine who is getting more out of the program. Through her art, Jade begins to act on the realization that she needs to make her own opportunities.
Reception and awardsEdit
The book was well reviewed including starred reviews by The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, Kirkus Reviews, which also named it a best book of 2017, and School Library Journal, which also named it a best book of 2017.
The book was recognized by the American Library Association at the 2018 Youth Media Awards. Watson was awarded the Coretta Scott King Author Award; in her acceptance speech Watson thanked the award committee for, "bring visibility to black characters who are bold and brave, beautiful and brilliant." Piecing Me Together was also named a Newbery Honor book with the award committee citing its, "Through artful and poetic language, Watson explores themes of race, class, gender and body image in this dynamic journey." Bank Street College of Education also recognized the novel with its Josette Frank Award.
- Stevenson, D. (2017). Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson (review). Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 70(8), 384. Johns Hopkins University Press. Retrieved December 1, 2018, from Project MUSE database.
- PIECING ME TOGETHER by Renée Watson | Kirkus Reviews. Kirkus. 2016-11-02. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Anderson, Kristin (2017-01-12). "Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson | SLJ Review". School Library Journal. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Journal, School Library. "School Library Journal | Best of 2017". School Library Journal. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- Watson, Renee (2018-06-28). "2018 CSK Author Award Acceptance by Renée Watson". The Horn Book. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "John Newbery Medal | Awards & Grants". www.ala.org. Archived from the original on 2018-04-16. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "Awards - Bank Street College of Education". Bank Street College of Education. Retrieved 2018-12-01.
|This article about a children's book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|